Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza - Multiple Pics

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After heeding the advice of the pizza vets here I dipped my toe in the waters. I began by cooking some chicken breasts dusted with Tsunami Spin and some extra thick cut peppered bacon on the egg for toppings:[p]ChickenandPepperedBacon.jpg[p]
Then I stretched the dough (which was from Publix bakery), spread the homemade sauce, and topped it with chopped chicken, bacon, onion, fresh basil, and fresh mozzarella:[p]ReadytoCook.jpg[p]
It was a little heavy and even with a heavy dusting of cornmeal under the dough I had trouble moving it from the makeshift peel (a flat cookie sheet) to the egg, so got some sauce on one edge of the crust, but on the egg she went:[p]OntheEgg.jpg[p]
After about 12-13 minutes at 600 dome it looked done so I pulled it off. Mozzarella was nicely melted and everything was done on top. In hindsight I should have pulled it a minute earlier. The crust was not burnt, but it was a little crispy for my taste:[p]Done2.jpg[p]
And of course, the obligatory closeup:[p]CenterCloseup.jpg[p]
Turned out much better than I expected and now I am hooked. It was actually a lot of fun and I am looking forward to the next one. Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    pizza.jpg
    <p />Fidel,
    Nice job, that looks real good. You my want to try parchment paper under your pizza, the dough can stick to it while you are building it, but when you bake it it falls off. Look close and you can see the paper. -RP

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Fidel,
    That's a mighty fine pizza and give or take a minute, I bet it was good!!!

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    AZRP,[p]I read that a few people do that, but paper at those temps freaks me out. I know that parchment paper is for baking, but at those temp I have trouble trusting it.[p]I'll give that a rip next time because I like the pizza really loaded.[p]Now to find me a peel....
  • Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    Options
    Fidel,
    Nice lookin pie dude... pizza has become a staple here at lunchtime on Sundays... don't let the PC stone worry you... I have been using one for about 3 years and haven't had a problem yet.

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Fidel,
    GREAT pics! I'm always on a crusade about making your life so easy by using a pizza screen. Just oil the screen, build your pizza and you can wait a long time before even putting it on the stone. You never have to fool with the crust again. The pizza comes right off the screen when it's done, and you don't even need a peel--you can nudge the screen off the stone with tongs onto a plate or whatever. Keep up the good work!

Judy in San Diego
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Fidel,[p]There is a trick on getting a pizza off a peel...[p]You need to do some short jiggles to and fro to get the pizza loose then when you get to the egg you will be able to use a quick motion to move the pizza to the stone...[p]Remember quick motions...!!![p]I use a very wet dough and it works for me so it will work for you..[p]Also I learned this trick from a guy who had been making pizzas in a brick oven for years![p]Great looking pizza!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Fidel,
    Now I'm hungry for pizza lookin at your pic's. Nice work.

Parchment paper makes it easy to slide the pizza on and off.
    Home made sauce, yummmmm...I bet that was good.