Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

too much smoke flavor!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please help! Bought BGE for husband, have used it 3 times and not been very happy w/ the flavor...too smokey. Had the BEST steak ever prepared on a BGE (which gave me the idea for gift for hubby)but it didn't have a smoke flavor. Any suggestions? Store where I bought gave me "Cowboy Brand 100% Hardwood Lump Charcoal" w/ the egg (didn't have BGE brand). Could that be the problem? Does BGE brand give a smoke flavor to steak? Know there MUST be a way to grill w/out that flavor...couldn't imagine BAKING a pie on BGE otherwise. Hate to say it, but at the moment, hubby is disappointed w/ gift...(very expensive one, at that!) Really wanted this to be a special gift/one he'd love...please tell me what we're doing wrong.

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    MrsB,[p]How long are you letting the lump burn before putting your food on? One of the mistakes I made in the beginning was putting meat on as soon as the egg was at the right temp. Now I fire my egg up at least 30-40 minutes before cooking, and sometimes longer than that.
  • KS Cheryl
    KS Cheryl Posts: 71
    Options
    MrsB,
    You aren't giving it time. After lighting lump wait until the smoke clears. My granddaughter who is 7 likes to help me find what she calls the smokers (pieces that give off lots of smoke). We use long tongs and pull them out if they are smoking bad after 15 minutes or so. You can bake great bread in the egg I just took some out.
    bread.jpg
    Check out the naked whiz site for great info. Cheryl
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    MrsB,
    Check out the NakedWhiz's Lump Charcoal Database. It tells which lumps have the least smokeiness.

[ul][li]Naked Whiz's Lump Database[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    MrsB,
    i just baked a cake on the egg with cowboy lump i have cowboy and royal oak lump. i now have a pot roast on witch i added some royal oak. if i want to cook a cake i use cowboy. steaks and roast i use royal oak. but after lighting the lump you need to let burn until you have no white smoke comming out. i get up to temp. and let it hold temp.for at least 15-30 minuets

• Unknown
    Options
    MrsB,light your lump charcoal and let the BGE get up to near your desired temperature and then start closing the top and bottom vents so it does not get too hot. Say you want to cook a steak at 500. Let it get to 500 but do not put the steak on until you can not see any smoke or very faint smoke and no white smoke at all.

• Unknown
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    THANK YOU for your help! Will remember to WAIT next time!

• Unknown
    Options
    KS Cheryl,
    Your bread look delicious~doesn't look smokey at all~picture very encouraging! Thanks for the info and tip on "smokers" and the website! Will WAIT next time before adding to grill.

• Unknown
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    Thanks for the website~have added it to favorites for quick reference!

• Unknown
    Options
    new egg,
    Thank you for the info. Just curious...why do you use cowboy for cakes and not steaks? Appreciate your help!

• Don from NJ
    Options
    KS Cheryl,[p]care to share any info on that bread? recipe? looks really good!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Smokey5760,
    Appreciate your help!Thank you!

• KS Cheryl
    KS Cheryl Posts: 71
    Options
    Don from NJ,
    This is a simple white bread that I have been making every week. Really easy to make. I bake in egg at 375 for about 30 minutes. I also put mine on parchment paper. That makes it easy to slide in egg or to turn it around if one side gets to brown. I use a flat cookie sheet with no sides as a peel like you would do for pizza. This makes 2 loaves so I usually cut in half. Cheryl[p]Farmhouse Bread Recipe

Makes 2 loaves[p]Ingredients:

2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
    1/4 cup lukewarm water
    1 1/4 cups boiling water
    2/3 cup shortening
    2 large eggs, beaten

1/2 sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    5 cups all-purpose flour
    4 tablespoons of butter, melted

Method: Pour lukewarm water into a bowl, sprinkle yeast on top and set a side for 5 minutes or till fermented. Bring 1 1/4 cups of water to a boil remove from heat. Add shortening and let sit until the mixture becomes lukewarm. In a bowl add beaten eggs, sugar,salt and 1 cup of flour. Add the shortening mixture that has cooled down and mix. Pour in the yeast mixture. Now continue to add the rest of the flour 1 cup at a time. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 7 minutes. Place dough into a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap. place in a warm area. Till doubled in size, about 1 hour. Punch down and place on a floured surface. cut dough into two equal parts. Form dough into to round loaves and place on a cookie sheet. Cover and let rise till double. Place dough in oven at 350 F for 40 minutes or till golden brown.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    KS Cheryl,
    Thank you for that recipe - that's on my soon to try list!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    MrsB,
    it just seems like that cowboy has less smoke flavor

• Don from NJ
    Options
    KS Cheryl,[p]
    Thanks, looks like I will make this on wend..