Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Always looking ...

Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine (who loves it when I invite him over for anything cooked on the Egg) recommended I try something called "Montreal Stake Seasoning". Well I finally found it (at Costco) and its fantastic and has NO MSG![p]The ingresient list read:[p]Salt, Spices (including Black Peper, Dill Seed, Coriander Seed, And Red Peper) Garlic, Partially HYdrogenated Soybean Oil, And Extractives of Dill and Paprika[p]I've used it on both stake and chicken with great results. Today I preparing a 2.5lb butt with it (aand look forward to shrinp and/or fish.[p]Anyone else used this seasoning?[p]Smokey

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Smokey,
    It is very good stuff to have around.
    Rub some baking potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with Montreal, and lay em on the egg for another nice treat.[p]I agree with you...that MSG is nasty stuff.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • I occasionally use Montreal Steak Seasoning on steaks. It's pretty good, but I've found that a little goes a long way. Too much can make your meat too salty.

• Smokey
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the thought, I'll have to do that this weekend! This seasoning may become my everyday seasoning. Other rubs that I creat will be for special (experimental) things![p]Smokey

• Smokey
    BluesnBBQ,[p]You're right about that! The label says it has 170mg of sodium per 1/4 tsp (0.8g).[p]Smokey

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Smokey,[p]I used it just last night in fact, great stuff. I used it on burgers that were seared then cooked. Pretty awesome stuff. Check out the Burger recipe in the recipe section, its a great burger. I basically do that recipe but instead of marinading the burgers, I just put the spices on (liberally) and pour some Worst.... sauce on them then cook them. Awesome. You'll find a million uses for this stuff and I've started buying it in the big containers that they sell at our local Wal Mart.[p]Troy
  • Smokey, I like it in moderation due to it's saltiness. The wife really likes the Montreal Roasted Garlic Chicken seasoning. We sprinkle it over leg-thigh quarters and cook at 350* or so.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Smokey,[p]I use this stuff occasionally and prefer the "spicey" vs. regular Montreal. Have you discovered Char-Crust seasoning blends yet??[p]K~G

• Smokey,[p]On Ray's Forum, they are equally impressed by the stuff. I believe someone posted that there are large containers available at Price / Costco or at Sam's club.

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Smokey,
    I've used the Montreal Steak Seasoning for about a year now. I couldn't think of cooking a steak without it. I like to sprinkle it on a steak then coat the steak with French's yellow mustard prior to cooking at 600+ degrees. [p]