Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i used to slow cook on a water pan between charcoal and meat smoker[p]i used alot of water soaked hickory chips about every hour for 4 hours had alot of smoked flavor on my ribs and other meats
i just started cooking on xlbge and am real happy with the tenderness
and accuracy with cooking temps but my wife and kids find that they
miss the heavy smoked flavor of hickory with the old smoker[p]i am using hickory chips soaked in water on the bge but i am only
puttings the chips on the lump at the start of cooking can anyone
tell me how to add more smoke flavor to my cooks
thanks

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    topper,
    skip the soak, and add many more chips throughout the lump. the fire won't use up all the lump, and so the same amount of chips you are used to spread throughout won't likely get used.[p]whatever's unused can be used next time.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SkyRider
    SkyRider Posts: 41
    Options
    topper,
    You might want to skip the chips, and use chunks of wood instead >>> longer lasting, more smoke, and easier to manage...good luck...

• Unknown
    Options
    SkyRider, do i concentrate all chunks in one place or spread all over lump cause most of lump does not burn
    or do i add at different times during the cook[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    stike,
    do i concentrate more chips on one pile or spread allo over
    and do i add chips several times or just once at the begining

• SkyRider
    SkyRider Posts: 41
    Options
    topper, I usually put my chunks (2 or 3) sort of on the side where they (I think) will ignite/smolder and hence, last a bit longer. I like a lot of smoke, and will add add'l chunks during a long cook. Others may have different ways, but this always works for me.. BTW, have found that soaking chunks really doesn't change things...

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 103
    Options
    SkyRider,[p]Have you figured out a good way to add chunks during a low and slow? My setup (large BGE) from bottom to top is grate, fire bricks, drip pan, grate, food. It would be a monumental pain in the neck to disassemble to add more wood. Do you have a better way?[p]Thanks.[p]Matt
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    topper,
    I had the same issue; the way I got around it was to use an entire stick of hickory. I cut it in half and place it on the fire as soon as the original fire lump stops smoking and smoke turns blueish. Then I add the rest of the cooking set up. If I'm gas grillin, then I wrap a log in foil and punch some small holes to allow the log to smolder. At the end of the gas grill cook I spray water into foil holes to extinguish any burning embers and one log will last several grill cooks. On the egg I just shut down the vents and there is always some left over in the firebox for the next cook(it becomes part of the "lump"). I guarantee this'll add back that smoky, woody flavor your family's cravin'.
    I purchased a truckload of firewood, and requested only hickory. It cost a little more up front($85 a truckload delivered in s.Ga.), but by the time you purchase a few bags of chips you will've saved a fortune on wood alone. Try calling the firewood folks in your area and see if the can work a deal on a smaller load of hickory if space is an issue. Happy eggin'