Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back to Meat and Taters

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I've spent most of the summer cooking all kinds of seafood, not that I dont like it, but we have so much from my folks fishing in FL that I just hate for it to go to waste. Cobia, Spanish and King Mackerel, Grouper, Red and White Snapper, Amberjack, Shark, and even a couple of Flounder. No preparation methods that really blew my hair back but all good when grilled or smoked. ANYWHOHOW....[p]I've been searching for Char Crust in a local store for MONTHS, nothing. My sister lives in Chicago, where the stuff is made, and even SHE cant find it in local stores. But the other day I got a package from her and low and behold, she found it. I know, I know, just ORDER the stuff. I guess its the thrill of the hunt that I like and I have succeeded. Last night I grilled a couple of ribeyes with the Garlic Pepercorn Charcrust and really liked the results. I still like the olive oil marinade as well but this is an interesting and different tool to keep in my BGE bag of tricks. After marinading some fresh herbs, basil, garlic, rosemary, chives, in olive oil for about 2 months now, that will make some good flavored steaks but I think the Charcrust will run a close second.[p]Sorry about the rambling nature here, long time since I've posted but have been lurking daily, just not much to say or add. So, off with the gills for me, the seafood freezer is nearly empty, and back to the steaks and land based food for awhile.[p]Troy

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    We have had a good harvest from the garden this year and grilled vegetables are a real treat. If you are a vegetable eater and like tomatoes, squash, zucchini, eggplant, etc. give it a try. Thick slice (long ways for eggplant and squash) brush with olive oil and season as you like. Grill at 350º or so turning once. I like my vegetables with Cajun spice.
  • sprinter
    djm5x9,[p]The garden has been vyry prolific for us this year. We've got tomatoes, squash (all different kinds), hot and sweet pepppers, and all of them have seen the grill at some point during the summer. You're absolutely right, grilled veggies are a real treat with some olive oil and some nice seasonings. I even smoked some garlic in it that came out wonderfully.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    djm5x9,
    Yes indeed! Man those veggies are good fresh from the garden. I have been grilling a lot of squash (yellow and green), much as you mention! One of my favorite things to brush the veggies with is a mixture of oyster sauce, sesame oil, ground corriander and pepper, and a smidge of turbinado sugar. Been poking shallow holes in the flesh of the veggies to aid in penetration. A few minutes a side, and a little twist for crosshatch marks, and you are in business!![p]The critters have been chowing our tomatoes....I just trapped and relocated the culprit monster groundhog. My goal is to move his whole family to a new locale miles away![p]Cheers atcha.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 75
    sprinter,
    I found char-crust here in the Aurora IL area at a few small (independant) grocers in the meat department. The link below goes to Char-Crust's retail list....I don't know how up to date it is, but it had my grocery store in it.[p]Good luck.

[ul][li]Char Crust retail list[/ul]
  • sprinter
    Jeff,[p]Thanks for the link, I've been there and looked at it and should the source from my sister dry up I'll start to order it direct. Like I said though, its kind of the thrill of the hunt that I like. I gave the link to my sister when we started looking months aga and she looked at the stores in her area (Lombard) and none of the ones on the list actually carried it. Like you said, maybe not updated recently. Thanks again.[p]Troy