Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

slow cooking

Options
Stieet
Stieet Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to do a 4 lb shoulder ham tomorrow and leave it while I go do something for about 3 hours. I have no trouble pegging my thermometer
off the dial but getting it to and keeping it at 275-300 hasn't been easy. I have trouble keeping the heat low even though I close the daisy wheel and the bottom flue completely. I just don't want to come back to a BGE where the temp is still showing 400+ degrees with a charred hunk of pork. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    My advice would be to start the fire plenty early. At least a couple of hours before you plan to put the meat on. You want to have plenty of time.[p]Start the fire really small, let it get going, then close the bottom and top down to a sliver. Let that stabilize and see where the temp settles. [p]The goal would be to keep it around 250-ish. Open up a TINY, TINY amount at a time and let the temp creep higher. [p]Once you get there, stop futzing with it. Let it run.[p]After you see it stable for awhile. Open it and QUICKLY get the meat on. It should easily sit that way for several hours.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    bruce,[p]they key is to catch the temp on the way up. Once the temp gets above 300, it takes a long time to come back down.[p]Get the lump started, open the top daisy wheel about 1/8" and the bottom vent the same. it should stabilize around 250. There is no need to go above that temp and come back down.