Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Novice GBE User - Boston Butt Advice

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a new BGE owner/user, small size. Have done ribs, whole chicken and top round roast so far - all wonderfull. Have a 7 lbs. boston butt in the freezer want to do this weekend. Any suggestions? Plan to use lump charcoal and hickory chunk(s). Does is really have to go in during the night? Or would first thing in a.m. be ok? First one for me and have no experience - would appreciate your comments. [p]Thank you,[p]NYFerg

Comments

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    View?u=474327&a=10378379&p=41173367&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />NYFerg,[p]I do butt's quite frequently and a 7 pounder will take some time. I just did an 8 and it took 16 hours @ 240. If you stabilize your egg before you turn out the lights the egg will do the rest. IMHO I like to have the egg stabilized for 3 hours or so before I feel comfortable. I lay 2 firebricks down and cook over a drip pan.[p]Really good eats.[p]More good folks will chime in I'm sure.[p]Have fun,[p]Mick

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    NYFerg, Got to agree with MickeyT; I've cooked butts everywhere between 3 3/4 pounds and 8 pounds. It's going to take 2 hours to the pound, give or take 5 minutes to the pound. But one reason butt is so forgiving is you can add time (esp. in the Egg with its great moisture retention). I start my fire an hour before bedtime, put the butt in (250º) right before I turn in. Next morning I check the internal temp, and if it's too high for the time of day, cut the dome temp back anywhere from 230 to 240º. (I add on an hour, for the butt to sit wrapped in foil so the juices can redistribute before I pull it.)
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    NYFerg,
    I just finished up 2 6.5-lb butts last night. They took 17 hours and topped out at 183 internal temp, then started to slide back a bit so I took them off. I was running 250F dome most of the time. Very good pulled pork.
    JimW

• NYFerg,[p]Yup, it'll be an overnight thing for a 7 pounder assuming you do the cook at 225-250°. In addition to a good rub, I like to spray mine with Apple juice every couple of hours. Adds a nice flavor and makes a beautiful sheen to the crust (not that you notice it much after you shred the puppy - grin).[p]Good luck. It'll turn out great![p]Kelly