Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chunks & Chips, how to store em?

Trout Bum
Trout Bum Posts: 343
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been wondering whether chips & chunks need to be stored in an air tight container or if just anything will do.
Please advise.
Thanks,
B D

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Big Daddy,
    store mine in rubbermaid or similar type containers..will be interested in what others have to say..[p]Wess

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Big Daddy,[p]I keep mine in separate plastic bags stored in the pantry. The bags are actually the clear bags that the newspaper is delivered in on rainy days. I use no tie on the bag, just a twirl and fold the extra bag under to seal. I tend to use chips more than most here. Never had a problem with the stored wood. In the house they are not subject to the extremes that may possibly produce mold or mildew.[p]Spin
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Big Daddy, Here in sunny, dry, Colorado I keep mine one of those big Rubbermaid things they sell in the garden dept. (Okay, I also keep the lump in there. My biggest concern is keeping them dry when it rains or snows.
  • Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Big Daddy,
    I bought some hickory chunks in a bag that could be sealed (zip-lock type). Unfortunately, the chunks got moldy when the bag was sealed - so I now have to scrub my chunks before I use them. As a result, I'd suggest storing them in a bag or container that is not air tight.
    Janet[p]

• Big Daddy,
    I have an old oak microwave cart that I keep outside (mineral oil the surfaces every spring and fall),inside I keep my assortment of chips in the bags that they come in, as well as 5 Mason jars filled with different combinations of presoaked chips. That way, I never have to worry about remembering to soak the chips when I'm getting ready for a cook. The chips are soaked in a variety of liquids such as beer, wine and hard cider. I have had a small problem with mold in the Mason jars when the liquid level drops (only after months of soaking) so I periodically check and refill with a little water when the fluid drops. The only trouble I have with the dry chips is sometimes spiders like to set up shop in the bags, no mold or mildew though, and a few of the bags have been out there over three years.

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Big Daddy,
    Keep my smoking wood in those Rubbermaid type bins, and the lump stays in the original bag. Everything is in the garage to avoid (especially the lump) from getting too much moisture. Dry climate generally here in NM, but at this time of year we get monsoon type rains in late summer, and the humidity can go from 20% up to 90, real quick.