Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Decision: Next Egg Purchase Your thoughts Please

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggheads,
First of all I am blessed to have a Large and Small BGE. I told my wife I would like another BGE for my Birthday which is the first of August. The catch is I can only have one more egg (according to my wife) and my choice is between the mini and the medium. I thought about the mini for TREX steaks and shrimp Kaboobs where you don't have a big meal to cook for the two of us. However, I have a 1.5 year old girl and a boy due any day in the next two weeks. Needless to say I have a growing famiy. I don't want to kick myself for passing up on the medium down the road because it has a robust cooking capacity. In light of my current situation what would you reccomend I do? I can't see myself outgrowing my current arrangment anytime soon.... Your EGG-spert advice please.[p]Best Regards, Pharmeggist

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]*snicker*[p]kaboobs?[p]:)[p]I would go with a mini.
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    I forgot to do a spelling check :=)

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    well i am thinking bout the same thing. our baby due in oct. 10 year old in house now. and i have been real impressed with rick's tropical delight's use of the medium. so that's what i figure i will get next. although the pregnat woman i livwe with wants a xl for all the weddings that she does. [p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]I too would say go with the mini. This little guy will open a whole new realm of possibilities for you.
    I have a Lg, and SM. My wife surprised me with a mini for my Birthday. I use that little guy everywhere.[p]A medium would let you cook more overall, but I think even if you got one, you could still argue for a mini. It is this reason that you should get a mini, and if you really want a Med later on, start filling a coffee can....[p]I have a 1.5 year old and a 2nd due in February. All I know is Kylie eats mini cooked hotdogs with NO ketchup.
    Mom will boil one for her and she'll scream "BEPBUP! BEPBUP!" as she desires more flavor. It's way cute![p]All the best to ya!

• EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    BENTE,
    Never argue with a pregnant woman!![p]Mike[p]PS-- especially when she want's an XL

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Pharmeggist, I think you are spoiled! hehe Question for you, please. Years ago I spent a week in Hartselle, AL(near Decatur) for work and my Alabaman co-workers took me to a little hole in the wall place for bbq for lunch. On each table in the place was an unlabeled bottle of red sauce and a bottle of white sauce. I had to ask my co-workers what they were being from PA. They told me it was bbq sauce. The only bbq sauce you can buy in PA is the tomato based varieties. I loved the white sauce. It was vinegar based, right? Do you know of a website where I can order authentic AL white sauce and maybe a recommendation? I would love to have it again. I do not like sweet bbq sauces and love vinegar. Very best regards and thanks, Mark

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BENTE,[p] If she is catering get an XL!
  • Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    Weekend Warrior,[p]Try Big Bob Gibson's white sauce. [p]Available at http://www.bigbobgibsonbbq.com/[p]-Buzz
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    Buzz,
    You are on the money!!!! Big Bob Gibson's white sauce is the best I have had in Alabama. There are a number of BBQ joints that have white sauce but none are better than the afore mentioned (in my opinion).

• BENTE
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    yea i am almost tired of doing pork in two shifts!!![p]happy eggin
    tb[p]
    any help on my peppers from below?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Buzz, Thanks so much. Cute website. That looks and sounds like what I'm after. Grocers around here would look at you like you're a luny if you asked them if they had white bbq sauce. Pharmeggist, please post pics of the kaboobs when you do them. Oh wait, this is a "G" audience here. Email, then. Haha! Sorry for temporarily highjacking your thread. Didn't think.

• BENTE
    Options
    EmandM'sDad,
    yea you are preaching to the choir[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Unknown
    Options
    Pharmeggist, Go with the mini - thats my next egg

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    BENTE,
    My brother and my parents both own medium eggs. They love their medium eggs, too! Rick is a master of photography and his cooks inspire me to egg-speriment more!!!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    Get the medium. It will be a whole lot easier to break your promise for the price of a mini later on down the road, LOL![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BENTE
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    i have also looked at the mini and don't find cooking for one a option on most nights[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    That thought did cross my mind. It reminds me of the guy from GA that bought an Egg an XL at the Egg fest in Atlanta without telling his wife first. He must be in the dog house cause I can't remeber how the story played out.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    I am anxious for another one, just to have more capacity! I have a larger and am thinking about another large.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BGEFranks001.jpg
    <p />Pharmeggist,
    A mini can feed a family of 4. LOL! Really. Rotate the next batch of doggies on the grill when the first are done....keep going until everyone is stuffed and happy. No fun in getting them all done at once with a medium, now is it? he he he Oh oh, here comes Rick, I'm outta here. LOL!

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Those don't look like Oscar Meyer franks. What kind are they? The only gourmet dogs I can find in a local market is Hebrew National dogs. They cost nearly twice the amount of the Oscar franks.

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    invest the money in a good good stock.... you have enough eggs already.... you're kids will appreciate your decision in eighteen years!.... a whole lot more!

• Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]Get the medium,I feel it's the best cooking EGG of thr whole bunch.....

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    I think those were Klements beef Chicago style franks. Good stuff.

• Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]First, congrats![p]I've got three kids 4 and under. [p]With a growing family, forget the medium and get a second large. With two larges, you better interchangeability for accessories. The same size platesetter, pizza stone, raised grid, etc. [p]Having two larges also gives you a big advantage when it comes to pizza parties. Being able to crank out two larges at a time gives you the capacity to feed a crowd.[p]Besides... if you do decide to save your pennies and get one more, that mini would be an easier addition later.[p]-Buzz
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    ranger ray,
    It makes me wonder does the BGE have stock that is publicaly traded? If so that would be a wise investment with Eggheads like ourselves made everyday.
    ~Pharmeggist

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Pharmeggist,medium.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BENTE,[p] They look like green Szechuan Peppers.[p]
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options

I was going to say the same thing. Get a second large. Trust me, with 2 kids, you're going to be having a lotta parties in the future.[p]Gwen