Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Potroast

Options
Californiken
Californiken Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking (uh oh) about trying a pot roast in the dutch oven. Anyone have suggestions? I suppose it should be done over indirect heat. What do you all think about low heat all day long? This is a round roast, not one of the flat ones with a bone in. [p]Ken

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Texiken,
    You might try pit beef for that round roast. I think the recipe is at Wise one site. Good luck, Tom

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Texiken,[p] You want the temp around the Dutch Oven to be as close to 325 as possible[p] I would do the first part of this cook with the cover on. [p]Sear CHUCK ROAST on all sides. Some say this is to lock in the moisure.. HAHA You're boiling this hunk of meat :) I shouldn't have to tell you make sure it fits the Dutch Oven.[p]Fill the Dutch oven with a mixture of Beef Broth and Water with the hunk of meat in it. [p]1 or 2 medium size bay leafs
    1 small onion diced
    2 small carrots sliced
    1 or 2 celery stalks (fron the center) diced.
    3 or 4 mushrooms sliced.[p]Put all of this in the Dutch Oven Cover and let cook for a couple hours.[p]At the two hour mark. Throw in some more carrots that have been sliced into 2" chunks. Hand full of cubed mushrooms.[p]45 minutes later throw in some new or red skin potatoes cubed. [p]25 minutes later peel several small onion and toss them in whole. You can add kernel corn and sliced green beans at this point too. When the onions start to pearl take the cover off and let the smoke get to it.[p]20 minutes should be ready to serve. Keep an eye on the liquid. Add more broth as necessary. When it's done I like to remove the meat and thicken up the broth with some corn starch that has been mixed with water. DO NOT put dry corn starch in the hot liquid. You won't need much just a tablespoon. [p]Put the meat back in and serve.[p]

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Texiken,
    Take your roast and sear it really really good using whatever smoke you like. This was a little pecan. Then put it in your dutch oven on top of some celery and onions and add the liquid and fixings like onion, etc.
    Put the pot on the egg at hold your temps at around 300 and check it occasionaly to make sure you still have liquid. Add your potatoes and carrots toward then end when the meat is starting to tender up.

camping012.jpg[p]
    camping011.jpg[p]