Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does the charcoal have an expiration date, or does it last forever?

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    G. Wagner,
    Sure does.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    G. Wagner,
    The Chinese have recorded ancient findings at the Huan River, China where excavators revealed tombs dating back over 3,000 years. Among the various artifacts were remains of high fired green glazed wares that held charcoal as well as chicken and duck bones. The charcoal was described as perfectly preserved. Apparently the artifacts indicate the Shang Kings enjoyed BBQ in the worlds best smoker.[p]Have a great day,
    Clay[p]

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    G. Wagner,
    lump is nearly pure carbon.[p]only thing you need to worry about it turning into is diamonds

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    stike,[p]Or getting wet. If it gets wet, you will need to toss it.
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    why1504,[p]Well, I drowned some of my jealously hoarded Wicked Good Comp lump the other day. I had a brain malfunction and left a tub of it out overnight, and we had a shower.[p]WetLump.jpg[p]Hating to part with my WG lump, I put it in the sun in our 85°, low humidity weather for two days. [p]I burnt it last night, mixed with some old B&B that was left in my large from a previous cook. The lump burnt with no problems.[p]DD
  • stike
    Options
    why1504,
    not true....[p]just let it dry out.[p]it doesn't fall apart when wet like briquettes do

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    why1504,
    There is no need to toss wet lump charcoal. You can dry it out and use it just fine. And the myth about wet charcoal spontaneously igniting is just that, a myth. So, no reason to chuck wet lump. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks!! I was wrong, again today. I have always been very careful about keeping lump dry. I thought if it got wet it would be toast.
  • stike
    Options
    why1504,
    never believe what you are told.[p]even from us!

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    why1504,[p]Think of it as one component of black powder. Yeah, keep your powder dry, but if it gets wet take some time to dry it out and it'll work fine.