Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Tomorrow

Options
JohnnyH
JohnnyH Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be doing my first brisket tomorrow and I spent some time reading the archives on this subject. I did get lots of great advise but let me know if this all sounds right. I will be doing a 9lb packer. [p]Sat 1800....Place trimmed/rubbed brisket, fat side down over inverted
platesetter/drip pan setup at 250 dome.[p]Sun 0900....At approx 15 hrs or when flat is 190 or passes the fork
test remove and let cool enough to seperate point/flat.[p]Sun 1000....Wrap flat in foil and towels and keep in warm cooler until
lunch. Place the point back on the egg for 2 more hours
for burnt ends.[p]Although I listed times I will not rush the process. It will be done when it is done. Does it sound like I missed anything or is there anything anyone wants to add. I will post pics on sunday when all is done. Thanks for reading. Oh yeah, I will use very little mesquite. I dont want to over smoke it and make it bitter.[p]John

Comments

• Saucehog
    Saucehog Posts: 30
    Options
    JohnnyH,
    I would also marinade in whatever you want for about 4-6 hours, brush some mustard on the non fatty side, sprinkle some rub on and then place on the egg.[p]THe mustard will be removed in the smoking process, leaving a nice bark of the rub.[p]Best of luck, I am prepping one for smoking tomorrow as well.[p]Cheers,
    Saucehog

• JohnnyH
    JohnnyH Posts: 17
    Options
    JohnnyH,[p]Actually I meant to say 235 Dome.
  • Not Sirius
    Not Sirius Posts: 32
    Options
    JohnnyH,
    It sounds like you've been listening to all the good advice in the forum. I'd suggest that you not use mesquite for a low and slow. It gives the meat a musty taste. A combination of hickory and oak would provide better smoke flavor. Mesquite does better for grilling. Enjoy your brisket.