Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Pork Loin

Mayberry Smoker
Mayberry Smoker Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Boneless pork loins are on sale so I'm going to get 2, one to cut into pork chops and the second to cook whole, then slice thin for sandwiches. How's the best way to do the one for sandwiches. I have a large egg, cast iron grate, platesetter, pecan, oak, wild cherry and apple wood and Shakin the tree and raging river rubs. Planning on cooking it Sat. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 103
    Mayberry Smoker,[p]Brine the whole loin overnight. I use 1 cup kosher salt and 2 cups brown sugar per 3 quarts of water (1-2-3). Add whatever seasonings you like. Smoke at 250 dome until 143 internal. Rest until cooled completely, then slice thinly. I like to make sandwiches on crusty rolls with red chile mayonnaise, sweet pear mustard, and lime-chile pickled red onions. Sometimes, I'll use cheese -- Jarlsberg is nice.[p]In the winter if we have guests for an informal meal, I'll make these sandwiches on small rolls and serve them with a crab and shrimp chowder that has some bacon and mild smoked chile powders in it. I'll set out a variety of pickles during dinner and then follow the whole thing with a simple salad of spinach and arugula tossed with a dressing of red wine vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, and minced shallot. A charcuterie plate of home-smoked meats, fish, and cheeses along with some grilled vegetables and homemade mustard will set the tone for the meal and is nice to have with drinks before dinner.[p]Matt
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Matt,[p]Do you have recipes for the red chili mayonnaise, sweet pear mustard, lime chili red onions and the crab and shrimp chowder? Those sound FANTASTIC and a great menu for the pork loin sandwiches...[p]Thanks,
    Tonia
    :~)

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    QBabe,[p]Here is one I borrowed from food network, nuts optional.[p]Mayannaise, Sweet Red Pepper
    [p]Sweet Red Pepper Mayonnaise:
    1/2 cup walnut pieces
    2 cups mayonnaise
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 roasted red pepper, torn into narrow strips by hand
    1 fresh hot red chile, stemmed
    pinch sugar
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Recipe Type
    Condiment

Recipe Source
    Author: Tyler Florence[p]Source: Food Network, Tyler Florence, 11/26/06[p]Episode: Celebration Dinner

[p]

• Mayberry Smoker,
    Mayberry as in Mt Airy?

• Mario,
    No just a big Andy and Barney fan. One of the greatest tv shows of all time, those shows never get old.

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 103
    QBabe,[p]Thanks for the kind words. Actually, I don't tend to have recipes for things that are pretty straightforward preparations (even though they likely sound complicated). I think it goes back to my days as a line cook.[p]Here's what I do know:[p]For the red chile mayo, I mix Helmann's, lime juice, salt, cumin, and chile powders to taste. I use a mixture of powders -- maybe mulato, guajillo, cascabel, and morita (for heat).[p]Pear mustard -- Diced up a fresh pear, cook in a small saucepan with some sugar until syrupy. Puree with some Dijon mustard and add a bit of Tabasco for rhythm. You can season as you like.[p]Onions -- thin sliced red onion, lime juice, salt, pepper, minced red jalapeno (or serrano), and fresh basil.[p]I've got to go now (it's my birthday!) so I'll have to get back to you on the chowder -- it's a bit more involved.[p]Matt
  • Matt,
    Great inspiration...thanks...and Happy Birthday, too!