Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

7 Hour Pulled Pork

Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
4th007.jpg
<p />At the risk of being labeled a heretic,...here's my story.[p]The 4th was a big day at our house; a very small group of family for Marina's birthday, and a send-off for Ryan who's on his way to Iowa. I had planned a pork butt all week, and while I had the occasion, the materials and the desire....unfortunately, I didn't have the time.[p]While going through some Forum recipes, I landed on one from Eggfest '98 called Uncle Bill's Pulled Pork, by Robert Worsley. While I was skeptical, the time looked good, so I thought I'd give it a try.[p]I had a 7.55 bone-in butt that I massaged/injected with a mixture of Garlic Sauce (incredible stuff) and spicy brown mustard. I then rubbed everything down with Bad Byron.[p]It went on the Egg indirect with inverted platesetter and drip pan. Gave it a very heavy dose of Walnut smoke at 275 for about 2 1/2-3 hours. I pulled and wrapped tightly in heavy duty foil (with another coating of the Garlic Sauce/mustard mix) and went back on the Egg for about 2 more hours until the Thermapen read 195-197. I removed the butt from the foil (and quite a large quantity of drippings) and returned to the grill once again brushed down with some Happy Pappy to kick it a bit. [p]The first pic is just after removing from the foil. The second is the wild hair I got and brushed it down with Happy Pappy, and the third pic is after another hour or so, unwrapped, at around 300-325 to get some more bark just before pulling.[p]Approximately 7 hours start to finish, and it was a huge hit. It seemed much less fatty than I'm accustomed to pulled pork being, and maybe just a bit drier. However, I added a bit of sauce after pulling and it was great. While getting some of the left overs from the fridge this morning for today's lunch, I noticed that there was no fat residue anywhere...just meat. Mama liked that.[p]Marina looks like a drowned rat about to blow out candles. She'd been outside playing in the rain that hasn't quit here for about three weeks.[p]Happy 5th.[p]Mike[p]
4th002.jpg[p]4th004.jpg[p]4th005.jpg[p]4th006.jpg[p]4th010-1.jpg

Comments