Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roaster Chicken

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know there are several in the recipe section..but I wanted to throw it out for discussion...I just got my "Willy`s Sitter" and I got a 3.75# chicken...would like any and all advice time, temps, direct/indirect....was kinda thinkin I might do something along the lines of ChefRD`s wing recipe as most claim it gives a fried like crust..but add some Regianno to the batter for a parmesian kinda crust...so let em fly if you would please..I have never done a chicken before and don`t know squat...skin on / off..what to put in the sitter...guess you get the picture...roaster chicken 101..LOL[p]Wess

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WessB,
    Just leave the skin on. Put whatever you want in the sitter. How about beer and garlic! The breading will probably work well. With JJs Game Hen recipe you roll the birds in sour cream, then coat with the breadcrumbs/parmesian cheese. The breading makes a nice gorgeous crusty coating. I am no expert, but I think ChefRD's coating would also work very well. I would cook at 375 over your plate setter and a drip pan.....or any indirect setup. Try and get the bird elevated at least 4 inches above your drip pan (or use a small pan)....else your bird could cook unevenly. Cook til breast temp of 165-170. Could benefit to kick dome temp up over 400 for the last 15-30 minutes....but don't do this if the crust is already browned. Figure 15-20 minute/pound.
    Have fun!!
    BTW, yank out that pop-up thermometer before you cook.
    seeya
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WessB
    Options
    WessB,
    PS...would one want to do a brine on a bird before the cook??????[p]Wess

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WessB,
    Brining is always nice if you have time....but is really not necessary at all for great results.
    JMO.
    Beers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WessB
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Honestly I had envisioned using the plate setter legs up with a drip pan on it and a grid on top of the legs with the willy`s sitter on that..thanks for the mention of the pop up...woulda never thought about that...JJ`s hens were very good at Eggfest so it could go anywhere between those 2 recipes..hope all is well with you and yours[p]Wess

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    WessB, I use a Willie's all the time and with it you really don't need to brine. Once you've had a chicken from one you'll see what I mean. Also just place it right on the grill. That's the whole idea that the bottom gets hot heats the contents and they self baste your bird from the inside out, which is another reason to leave the skin on. I normally just rub the bird with canola oil or margine and that gives anive golden brown skin. I aim for 325° dome and a 4.5 bird will take about 2.5 hours but use a Polder in the breast. He be done at 170° or as the more adventerous say when you can shake hands with him!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    WessB,
    Great advice below. My favorite and my neighbors (when I do a bird for him) is oil or butter on the skin and just a light sprinkling of paprika and if you want just a little apple wood for a nice mild smoke.[p]Carey

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    WessB,[p]I've used my Willy's a couple of time doing beer butt chicken. No new ideas for you but an observation: it seems to add 1/2 hour to my cooking times.[p]Kelly