Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

7 Hour Pulled Pork

Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
4th007.jpg
<p />At the risk of being labeled a heretic,...here's my story.[p]The 4th was a big day at our house; a very small group of family for Marina's birthday, and a send-off for Ryan who's on his way to Iowa. I had planned a pork butt all week, and while I had the occasion, the materials and the desire....unfortunately, I didn't have the time.[p]While going through some Forum recipes, I landed on one from Eggfest '98 called Uncle Bill's Pulled Pork, by Robert Worsley. While I was skeptical, the time looked good, so I thought I'd give it a try.[p]I had a 7.55 bone-in butt that I massaged/injected with a mixture of Garlic Sauce (incredible stuff) and spicy brown mustard. I then rubbed everything down with Bad Byron.[p]It went on the Egg indirect with inverted platesetter and drip pan. Gave it a very heavy dose of Walnut smoke at 275 for about 2 1/2-3 hours. I pulled and wrapped tightly in heavy duty foil (with another coating of the Garlic Sauce/mustard mix) and went back on the Egg for about 2 more hours until the Thermapen read 195-197. I removed the butt from the foil (and quite a large quantity of drippings) and returned to the grill once again brushed down with some Happy Pappy to kick it a bit. [p]The first pic is just after removing from the foil. The second is the wild hair I got and brushed it down with Happy Pappy, and the third pic is after another hour or so, unwrapped, at around 300-325 to get some more bark just before pulling.[p]Approximately 7 hours start to finish, and it was a huge hit. It seemed much less fatty than I'm accustomed to pulled pork being, and maybe just a bit drier. However, I added a bit of sauce after pulling and it was great. While getting some of the left overs from the fridge this morning for today's lunch, I noticed that there was no fat residue anywhere...just meat. Mama liked that.[p]Marina looks like a drowned rat about to blow out candles. She'd been outside playing in the rain that hasn't quit here for about three weeks.[p]Happy 5th.[p]Mike[p]
4th002.jpg[p]4th004.jpg[p]4th005.jpg[p]4th006.jpg[p]4th010-1.jpg

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Lawn Ranger,
    You're just about to get the hang of this cooking on the Egg, aren't you? LOL Man that sounds good. Save some.[p]Spring "Soaking Wet" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Lawn Ranger,
    Where at in Iowa? Maybe I can offer some assistance based on location?

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Lawn Ranger,[p]So, if I'm reading right, this could be called the 3-2-1 butt method? I wonder if the times would change much with bigger butts? I would have thought sitting in the foil would have left more fat on the meat, rather than rendering, but apparently not. [p]As much fun as all nighters are, a single day for a butt could be handy. Congrats on a good cook.[p]gdenby

• Lawn Ranger
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    Sioux City. He can't wait to meet you north country Eggers.

• Lawn Ranger
    gdenby,
    Thanks, Man. Yep, it was just a leisurely afternoon cook. Here's his recipe link on the Forum.[p]Mike

[ul][li]http://www.greeneggers.com/recipes/pork/pork0072.htm[/ul]
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Lawn Ranger,
    That is probably the hardest place to get to from Central Iowa. There is no real direct route. I will look for him in Omaha.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Fast track (higher temp) butts and brisket are getting more popular as is using foil for the finish. It is a nice option if you need to save time. A lot of the comp guys have been hinting about this for a couple of years. Ed at Kickass BBQ is one of the several folks that have helped me a lot.... He uses a large steel pit and cooks in aluminum pans at around 375° or so. On my cookers (Eggs and BDS) 325° without the pan works best for me. I've never had any issues with foiling to protect the color or to shorten the finish time, and I inject both butts and brisket.[p]One issue when finishing big butts in foil is the possibility of excess greasiness of the meat. If you plan to use a foil finish, it's better to trim the fat close. I think your butt may have dried a bit because of the time back on the cooker without foil. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Lawn Ranger,
    No your not a heretic. Your expedient. I foil Butts all the time to get them done in time to eat. Q is done when it is done......sometimes we just need to help it a bit :>)[p]H

• SkyRider
    SkyRider Posts: 41
    Lawn Ranger,
    Hello from Houston, where they invented RAIN (has rained every day since 21 June!) Awesome Butt pics...will try out recipe this weekend...thanks for sharing...[p]Congrats to the B-Day Girl! Is she an EggHead yet?[p]Howell
    P.S. Many good comments on the "knarral-ly" grips you made for my Egg...thanks again!

• Lawn Ranger
    SkyRider,
    Thanks, I'm glad to hear it's a hit. She hasn't cooked yet, but I'm hoping.[p]Keep your toes dry.[p]Mike

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    thirdeye,
    ive been injecting the butts lately as they get up into the 160/165 internal stage while sitting in the egg cooking away. this dries them out a little and seems to add to the crunch in the bark that i like, it also adds a lot of flavor. ive been injecting with elderwards vinegar sauce. i wonder how this would work at removing the greasiness that you sometimes get with the foil stage. since i actually like it drier and crispy i dont foil, but for a faster cook it might help to push some of the grease out with a vinegar type injection. im not a big fan of fatty too moist pulled pork, and the sauce adds enough moisture for what i like. but if your going for a fast cook, it might be worth trying.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Lawn Ranger,
    I won't share how it's done because it's a BBQ secret that isn't even mine, but at every competition I start off with 4 cold EGGs at 5:00 AM Saturday morning with turn ins going from 12:00 PM to 1:30 PM.[p]Butts, Briskets, Ribs, Chicken it all cooks in 4 or 5 hours or less.[p]The Butt looks great and I'm sure it was super tasty.[p]Happy Birthday to Marina!!!

• thirdeye
    fishlessman,[p]"dries them out a little"?[p]I remember you mentioning that late injection, I keep forgetting to try it. Monday night we'll be cooking 100# of butts, (not the fast track method) I'll try that on a couple just to compare.[p]
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    thirdeye,
    "dries them out a little"?[p]i think it washes some of that gel that builds up sometimes out of the pork butt. most of the butts i find here are boneless and maybe that does something too. butts here have very little fat to begin with and are mostly boneless. i dont cook for a lighter color like some do, im going for a black crunchy exterior with a good amount that sticks to the grill when i wrap and cooler the rest for dinner.i like to snack on that crunchy portion that stays with the grill.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    fishlessman,[p]I seldom cook boneless ones but funny you should mention the gel. Sometimes it's noticeable when pulling a high temp butt in the #8 to #9 pound range. I have wondered if it was my injection that prevented it from breaking down more or just the shorter time did not allow it.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Lawn Ranger,[p]I see nothing wrong with that at all. [p]I do carnitas quite a bit and I use the same size butt that you did Mike. 3.5-4 hours is all it takes.[p]Comes out great all the time.[p]Mick

• Lawn Ranger
    IMG_2882.jpg
    <p />MickeyT,
    Hey Buddy. Good to see you're still hiding out!

• Lawn Ranger
    Bobby-Q,
    Thanks Bobby! Yep, the shorter cooks sure jive better with my schedule. I'll pass along the BD wishes to Marina.[p]Mike

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0743.jpg
    <p />Lawn Ranger,
    and I'll second that salute to Mickey T. You ever coming back, dude, or too busy working on that eighth million in the bank?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bobby-Q,
    Cold at 5:00?

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    ccrider,
    At every contest except Dillard from now on.[p]:)

• Bobby-Q,
    Don't you think 5:00 will be OK @ Dillard too?
    4:30 is mighty early!

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Bobby-Q,
    You must be microwaving them! LOL -RP

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Lawn Ranger,
    you are one lucky guy. I hope you really had a great day and many more to come brother!
    ST

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Mike,[p]Wow, what a cool picture man.[p]Thanks for the props.[p]Rumor has it the lord chased away the house selling devil.........[p]Congrats.[p]Mick