Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much wood?

Don from NJ
Don from NJ Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm wondering what you guys typically use for say, pork butt's or brisket. I smoked 2 lb pork butts on tuesday night, i added three decent sized hockory chunks (a bit larger than a golf ball, each) to the lump, had some decent smoke coming from the egg, however, the pork didn't seem to have too much smoke flavor. any thoughts?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Don from NJ,[p] 2 pound pork butts? We call them pork steaks :)[p]Being a Yankee I thought the more smoke the better. I moved south and learned I was wrong.. You want no visible or very light blue smoke. [p]Having said that Pork butts are typically 5 pound and up. They take anywhere an hour to two hours per pound to cook at 250 dome. During this time they are getting smoke flavor on the surface. Once pulled that surface flavor gets blended in and mellows out. [p]I don't think 2 pound butts have a chance to get any real flavor from the smoke. They make great sausage though..
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]hehe, nice catch, sorry meant to say 2 7lb pork butts...