Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too much smoke.....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been trying the method described in the manual to cook steaks on the egg (650 degrees, 2-3 minutes per side, and then shut down egg for 3-4 minutes), but the flavor seems too smokey for my wife's taste......am I doing something wrong or is there a better method?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Ty K,
    funny you mention this. i just posted below how i got turned off from this method after a few cooks.[p]you MIGHT be actually tasting bad smoke, rather than too much.[p]when you shut down all vents and finish-roast from the latent heat of the ceramic, you are sitting atop cooling lump. that lump is not burning efficiently because there's little or no oxygen in there.[p]your steaks may be dripping onto dying embers, and that fat will smolder and throw acrid smoke. it's not a real issue when you sear over bright-burning lump, because the fat is fully oxidized. but in a dying fire, i think it burns more sooty. and just as important, the smokey soot in a closed vent egg has no place to go. you are basically swimming in it.[p]try T-rexing. which is a high sear, take OFF the steak and shut the egg down to around 400, (with cracked vents). then toss the steak on to finish.[p]or try the X-ert method (which is T-rex backward). roast at lower temps (say 250/300) til you are within 15 degrees of your preferred 'done' internal temp. then immediately crank the fire up to sear temps, sear the steaks, and take them off maybe 7 degrees below desired temp. they'll finish cooking on the plate.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Ty K,[p] Are you letting the smoke clear in the first place? Before the steaks go in the smoke should be invisible or a very light blue. White Smoke is bad..[p] I prefer the two egg method. I sear on one and roast on another, but that is not always an option..[p]
  • Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    I agree with stike.[p]Smothering the fire with the steaks still on the grill is a sure recipe for nasty char taste.[p]Take 'em off. Let 'em rest while the fire settles down.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    dunno if you are a chip guy, either.
    i put in chips all throughout, so that if the fire wanders, i get some smoke much of the cook.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'll try the "take off and cool" method. OR, maybe I should talk the wife into letting my buy another egg!?!?!?!

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Ty K,
    Same thing for my wife. I found if I leave the daisy wheel off during the dwell period (just bottom vent closed) the smokey (what she calls bitter) taste goes away.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    stike,[p] Chunks, dry, 3 each.[p]