Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stainless Vent Installation

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a tip for those adding the stainless vent.[p]I considered removing my egg from the nest to install the vent.
But then considered how I would feel after i dropped it.[p]SO instead i loosened the bolt at the bottom and the one directly under my egg. Gently spread the legs enough to get the vent out.
Installed the new vent, closed legs and tightened the bolts.[p]Only reason Im posting this is I noticed some instructions on someones link that suggested taking the egg out of its nest.
Anyone know of an easy way to do that let me know.[p]Anyway just wanted to post something somewhat usefull instead of just asking questions.[p]Tom

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tom, you did good!!...thats part of the deal here too. Great tip and I am sure others will want to try that also.
    C~W

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Tom,[p]If you unbolt the dome (2 bolts on the hinge) and remove it and all the guts, it's not too heavy to lift out and if you have a helper it's really easy. When I did mine I was not sure what to expect - you do have to remove the guts anyway to get to the nuts. Your idea works too since it only needs 1-2" to clear the nest. I'll do it that way if I ever do another.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Stainless Vent Installation -- Tim M[/ul]
  • Franco
    Franco Posts: 88
    Options
    Tom,[p]I've noticed that the new eggs have a stainless steel vent you're referring too. [p]What's the reason to replace the old ones like I have on mine and what's the cost of them. Also, how do you get them.[p]Thanks a lot, Frank

• Tom
    Options
    Franco,[p]I dont remember what the cost is but my old one was rusted.[p]Made it hard to open the vent sometimes.[p]Tom
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tom, this reminds me that if one will just snap the lower vent back and forth a few times especially after removing ash, it will clear the residule from the slots and opening and closing the door is a breeze. Like its on ball bearings.
    Mine is going on 6 years and the only rust is in the lower slotted area of the door. Still works fine. But I agree, the Stainless Steel is a nice change up.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Tom,
    Thanks for the tip. I'll keep in mind for when I have to do mine.
    B D

• Tom
    Options
    Big Daddy,[p]Just glad to contribute something to the group. [p]Tom