Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning pizza stone?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All,
Tried first pizza last night. While not worthy of photos it was mighty tasty. I can't draw a circle on paper with a pencil let alone make a good one with dough. Thanks to Spin for his dough recipe and will admit to using canned sauce for first try.
Anyways, here's the question; is it OK to wash a pizza stone? There's no sauce on it but the corn meal kind of baked on and when brushed off it left it kind of dark brown. Will that affect next pizza?
Thanks

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    proudpapa56,
    Just scrape it off and maybe wipe with a damp paper towel. It will blacken over time and become One with the Egg. I asked the same question the first time I used mine.[p]I don't even use corn meal on mine anymore.[p]Spring "Pizza Is Not Just For Breakfast Anymore" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    proudpapa56,
    If it gets grungy, just scrape the heavy stuff off. Then, put it in a HOT egg to vaporize the rest off.[p]Another thing that works great is to take a medium grit foam sanding block (buy at your paint store - Sherwin Williams, etc.)and just scrub the stone clean. However, don't scrub off the black patina ... it is your friend.

• proudpapa56,
    Normally I just brush it off with a stiff scrub brush. NEVER WASH a pizza stone. After several years of cheese melting on mine I decided to really clean it. It put it in my stove oven and ran the self-clean cycle. When I was done it looked almost new.

• proudpapa56,we use the BGE stone in our large BGE and just scrape it off with a spatulah. I would never wash one and ours is black. We had an old clay stone we used in our oven for several years and the second time I put in the egg it cracked. The BGE is tough. LOL

• Baby j
    Baby j Posts: 148
    proudpapa56,
    Pampered Chef has this really great little tool to scrape their sandstone items. It's basically this 2" square rubber spatula tool. But it does a great job.