Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke and flavor

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recently someone posted here about the kids noticing that everything he cooked on the Egg tasted just like hot dogs.[p]Well yesterday I had the same thing happen with some marinated steak tips. I was trying some apple wood for smoke and I thought that was what did it, but it turned out to be the marinade. The smoke just enhanced it a bit. (Note: the turkey tips I cooked before and the scallops I cooked with the smoke all tasted great.)[p]I know I love ribs cooked with hickory, but what kind of smoke (other than mesquite)is good for steak/beef? If you had an expensive, once-a-year cut of beef on the grill, what would you use for smoke? Or would you use any smoke?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    i don't add any more smoke to steaks than maybe a couple oak twicks or that bit of hickory. i toss them in at the end on a clean burning fire.[p]not much, just a hint

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SkyRider
    SkyRider Posts: 41
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    If haven't tried Pecan, give it a test hop...seasoned is better than green, but both will do...good luck

• onelegchef
    onelegchef Posts: 119
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    1st choice of smoke would be mesquite, 2nd hickory are pecan. for seasoning DP Shakin-the-tree or EVOO salt and pepper. Let wood chunks burn clean no white smoke coming from top vent. Should be great.
    Bobby-FTW,TX