Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How often do you cook ahead?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I sit here in the 19th hour of a PP cook I thought would take 14, I wonder if I shouldn't have done it earlier in the week and just stored in the fridge and reheated ala RRP? I needed to be somewhere about 3 hours ago.[p]A shoulder is just one of those things you can't count on for timing. Versus ribs, which seem to be fairly consistent. [p]How often do you cook ahead?

Comments

• Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    mukl,[p]If you count leftovers, then I cook ahead almost every week![p]I hate cutting it close on a cook. I cook to relax-- not be stressed about whether it will finish on time.[p]On butts, I typically shoot to have the thing finished about 3-4 hours before I really need it. The resting period in the cooler usually helps the end result anyway.[p]I've never cooked days in advance.[p]
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    mukl,
    I don't do PP ahead of time... I just learned you need to give extra time consideration. I put a roughly 7.5 pound boston butt on my egg last night at 9:30 pm and it finished today July 4th at noon when it hit 190 internal... with no BBQ Guru. I estimated it taking about 2 hours a pound and it worked out as planned. However, if it hadn't worked out for lunch I was going to plan on it being for dinner :=) Had I had a party planned I would have told my company to be at my house for dinner at 5pm. I am sure other people wouldn't be as riky... but I have pulled off cooking 18 homemade pizza's on my Large BGE for a party of 22 people.
    Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    I remember when you asked how to boil and egg! You know I'm kidding of course. Happy 4th![p]Here is din din tonight

newcamera030.jpg[p]
    [p]Filet with rasberry vinaigrette with poppy seeds shrimp, blue cheese sauce, and romain lettuce and tator salad.[p]
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    I liked the picture of your Crawfish party in your earlier post... just how many do you eat to get full? Boy I love those things. I like your surf and turf picture too! Regards, Pharmeggist

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    I liked the picture of your Crawfish party in your earlier post... just how many do you eat to get full? Boy I love those things. I like your surf and turf picture too! Regards, Pharmeggist

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    I loose count.

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    Probably Pounds worth I am sure... Usually I get filled up on the boiled onions, potatoes and fresh corn that is served as side dishes to them.

• Unknown
    Options
    mukl,[p]I never cook the heads -- always chop 'em off an' throw 'em out. Maybe use 'em to make broth.[p]