Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crab Cakes

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you haven't tried crab cakes on Mr. Egg, I recommend it highly! I love crab cakes, but don't like to fry them in skillet because it seems to rob them of the true flavor. So, I got out my favorite baked crab cake recipe last night and did it in BGE instead of oven. Why didn't I think of this earlier? Indirect over plate setter at about 400 for 20 minutes (10 per side). A light mesquite smoke to start the cook. I gotta stop talkin' or I'll be out there makin' another batch for breakfast. Served with BGE roasted corn and my favorite slaw recipe.[p]Char Dawg

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Char Dawg,
    Would you mind posting that recipe?
    Thanx bro,
    ST

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Char Dawg,
    I'd like to hear your slaw recipe also.
    Thanks
    DTM

• Todd,[p]Not exactly the same every time. Kind of like my chili or spaghetti recipes -- I have a basic recipe, but I tinker with it every time. That said, her is my basic baked crab cake recipe -- you can fine tune it to your own taste if you like.[p]1 pound jumbo lump crab meat (you can use backfin or claw meat if you like, but lump meat has the best flavor)
    2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    2 tsp. olive oil
    1 tbsp. butter
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
    1/2 tsp. fresh minced garlic (I usually bump it up to a full tsp., but that because I LOVE gahhlic!)
    1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
    Tabasco as you prefer
    2 tbsp. mayonnaise
    1/2 cup crushed bread crumbs (you can use saltines, croutons, corn flakes, cheese goldfish or anything similar)
    1 large egg, beaten[p]Even though crab meat is packaged fresh and clean of shell there are always some shell fragments remaining. Open the crab meat, dump into a clean dish, and with clean hands, pick through and clean the crabmeat of all shell fragments. Be careful of the delicate nature of such a high quality product and try not to crumble the large lumps of crab.[p]Gently toss crab meat with the lemon juice, refrigerate. Saute onion with butter and olive oil over medium heat until barely limp, about one minute. Transfer to a
    small bowl to cool. Mix together Old Bay, garlic, worcestershire, cilantro, bell pepper, Tabasco, mayonnaise, bread crumbs, and beaten egg. Add the onions and mix well. Fold the crab meat gently into the mixture. Divide into 6 portions for large crab cakes or 8 portions for smaller crab cakes. Make them into a ball and gently press down the to so it is flat, but the crab cakes are nice and thick. [p]Grill for 20 minutes (10 minutes per side) on BGE at 400 degrees indirect heat. I add a few mesquite chips at the beginning for a light smoke flavor. You will need to use some type of accessory on top of the grill grid so the crab cakes won’t fall through. I use a stainless steel fish grill and coat it lightly with olive oil. (Note: Do not let the fish grill heat up in the BGE before you put the crab cakes on – it will burn the bottoms. Put the crab cakes onto the room temperature fish grill and then put in on the BGE.) [p]Enjoy!!![p]Char Dawg

• DTM,[p]I'm letting out one of my secrets, but the truth is that I do not have just one favorite slaw recipe. To some people, that is heresy. But to me, there are different varieties of slaw for different types of meals. Here are several of my favorites. None of them are original with me. I got them from sources on the internet. I like the Food TV web site a lot -- Grillin' and Chillin', Bobby Flay and Emeril in particular. Tinker with the seasonings to get them to taste the way you like.[p]Basic Slaw Recipe:
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon French's Dijon mustard (you can substitute honey dijon mustard her for a nice alternate flavor)
    1 1/2 pounds red cabbage, thinly shredded
    Mix vinegar, honey, salt, chipotle powder, mayonnaise and mustard. Add the cabbage. Toss to coat evenly and refrgerate for minimum of 4 hours, but preferably overnight to allow the flavors to marry.[p]Vinegared Cole Slaw:
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
    1 head red cabbage, shredded
    1/2 head Napa cabbage, shredded
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    Mix together the vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, sugar, sesame oil, and seeds. Set aside and toss together the red cabbage, Napa cabbage, carrots, and raisins until well combined. Dress the slaw with the vinegar mixture and serve.[p]I don't know what to call this one, but I like it:
    1 bay leaf
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 dashes hot pepper sauce
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon caraway seeds, toasted
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
    1/4 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
    1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
    In a small saucepan, combine the bay leaf, vinegar, sugar, hot pepper sauce, and garlic, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool. Remove the bay leaf. Whisk in the toasted caraway seeds, mustard and vegetable oil until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    Place the cabbage and onion in a large bowl, pour the dressing over, and toss to coat evenly. Adjust the seasonings, cover and refrigerate overnight.[p]Hope this helps![p]Char Dawg