Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

can anyone give advice on grilling 5-6 lb beef tenderloin?

Options
Dutch
Dutch Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please see my posted previous question....also, Tim, thanks for your help...
Dutch

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Dutch,[p]If that beautiful hunk of meat was in my kitchen, I'd cut it up into individual filets at least 1.5 inches thick and grill at 700* in the classic 3/3/dwell to desired doneness. If you'd prefer to cook whole try 400* and figure 10-12 minutes a pound as you "roll" it on the cooking grid occasionally. An internal temp of 130/135* should yield medium, more or less is your preference.[p]Char-Crust spice blends are popular on this forum and their roasted garlic peppercorn is my favorite. Char-Crust is not always easy to find. Every supermarket carries "Montreal" steak seasoning by McCormick which ain't bad.[p]Just my humble opinion and good luck. Love to be in your shoes today.[p]K~G

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Dutch,
    Just cooked a big 5lb. tenderloin last week, alas, on the Weber at my mother-in-law's cabin. I tried doing the Big Black Egg thing, and my mistake was unbelievably, using BGE lump, or...not enough of it. At 10,400 ft. altitude, I couldn't get things hot enough to complete the cook. After an hour I took it off, and had to finish 3/4 of it in the oven broiler(ugh!)----BUT, as has been suggested, the rubbing of CharCrust's Roasted Garlic and Peppercorn blend was fabulous, and saved the day...in addition to having some hickory chunks in that fire for 60 minutes. If you have the time, rub it liberally, let the rub set for an hour on the meat's surface, then slather olive oil all over, sprinkle some more rub on, and refrigerate for as long as you can wait (24hours is ideal!). And, as most will tell you, a simple salt and pepper rub will work great too! Big Murth (who will pack the Mini next time we go to Grandmother's house).

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Dutch,[p]I agree with KennyG. I have done a few whole and half tenderloins - I prefer cutting them up into 10-12 steaks. [p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim M Tenderloins[/ul]
  • Dutch, my experience at 400° has been closer to 5 minutes per pound. I don't want "well done".