Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DR BBQ Big Time BBQ Rub Question

Options
Good Eats
Good Eats Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doin some Pork Spares and some Beef Baby Backs tommorrow and was going to Eggsperiment... I am going to rub some with Dr BBQ's rub and was wondering... should I still spritz with apple juice? I also have some OJ sittin around... anyone ever spritz with that and what were the results?[p]Spring " I know you get up at 2am and check the board " Chicken... any thoughts? [p]Happy 4th all!!!

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Good Eats,
    When looking for a sweet BB rib I like to spritz with: 1/3 apple juice, some apple cider vinegar, 1/3 orange juice and 1/3 water. I know it is more that 100%, but it is hard to count after AARP 55. Last weekend the grandson drank the apple juice day before ribs so used 1/3 Nestles Juicy Juice Cherry and was a pleasant sweet flavor. I do mine 5-6 hours indirect in large @250 and after 3 hours or so spritz every 1/2 hour. and the last hour if in the mood, baste with BBQ sauce diluted.

• Saucehog
    Saucehog Posts: 30
    Options
    We usually do not spritz with anything. We baste 2/3rds the way through with some butter/honey, then wrap in foil for the last 1/3.[p]Give Willingham Rubs a try. They are quite good. We usually use Willingham Rubs / Three Little Pigs Sauce combo and people are blown away. [p]When we do a taste test, Three Little Pigs always wins by far. [p]I used to try to make rubs from scratch, but then after using these 2, I tend to modify their products with my own tastes. Since these guys have won multiple Memphis in May/KC Royal Championships, I figure they have a pretty good start on what tastes great.[p]Happy Grilling.[p]Quatro De Julio Line Up:
    2 Fatties
    Briskett
    Beer

[ul][li]Willingham Rubs[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Good Eats,
    Listen to sauce hog - I am from Memphis and the Willingham rub is great. Better than Corkys and Rendevous.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Good Eats,
    Haaaaaaa! You noticed my early morning "Awake Walking's" huh? Yea, gotta make a nature run so while I'm up I may as well see who else is up.[p]As for your Spares and Backs, I don't have a clue. I can count the times I've cooked them on two fingers and even then they weren't all that great. I keep saying I'm gonna do some tho. When I do I'm calling Car Wash Mike. His always look good.[p]Spring "Rib Bone Is Connected To The Bed Bone" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 669
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    LeRoy, You just crack me up with your 'middle name' signatures!
    My wife and I look for your posts, just to see how you signed them![p]Uncle "Wish I had your flair" Phil