Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini question

Options
Outlaw
Outlaw Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large BGE,but often find it to be too much trouble to fire up for just a couple of chops or burgers. Have been thinking about getting a mini for this purpose so would appreciate an input of pros and cons on the mini.

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    OUTLAW, the mini is your machine - you can do 4 chicken breast, 8 hotdogs, 4 large burgers, 2 large steaks and it lights up quick and have dinner ready (mostly in 30 minutes) i certainly love mine as it looks so cute when smoke comes out of the chimney

• Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    Options
    OUTLAW,[p]I just read Chefarnoldi's post and certainly hope he didn't mean that you could cook all of those items at the same time on the mini... I have a small and would be hard pressed to fit all of that food on one. I also have a large and just recently picked up a small for the same reasons you are looking to get a mini... look into the small... it is portable, comes up to temp fast and is a great addition. I really didn't think I would use it that much but now I find myself using it every time I use the large... small is also great on lump useage... look into the small it is a wonderful addition and I know a lot of the EGGERS here have this same combo.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    OUTLAW,
    I recently acquired a mini to go along with my large and small. It's a fantastic cooking machine! Plenty big for two people. I can get a lot hotter temps. for searing than I can on the small.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    OUTLAW,
    Beyond the fact that the mini is mini, it can do some mighty good cookin. It's one heck of a steak searing machine with the grid in close to the hot lump. Capability and performance can be enhanced by a raised grid/indirect set up you make yourself. A plus is its low weight and the mini can be hauled on vacation or to the tailgate cookout in a pinch. Still, that mini 9" grid fills up fast and it's often a cramped cooking situation when two people want to eat.[p]Now the small egg HAS indirect accessories (plate setter) and enough cooking space so you have a little elbow room when cooking for two. I will recommend you look into the small to complement your large. [p]That said, I have the mini and I max it out, he he. I can't help but love the little guy when its cranking away on steak, chops, burgers, chicken, sausage, taters.....you name it. Here are a few pics of my customized mini doin its thing.
    Have a great 4th of July!
    Clay
    BGEBratsMiniHandle007.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

BGEminiTri-Tip009.jpg

[p][p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    ClayQ, talk about a picture worth a thousand words. Those last three summed up the capabilities of a mini. However, the first one is neat. I now have "handle envy".

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Good Eats, no- it was defintely a case of "choose one from Column A." The mini is the perfect grill if you just need a single grilled item for two. As long as my wife is making the sides in the kitchen, the mini provides the grilled meat for most of our meals. As ChefArnoldi said, it can do either 3 hamburgers, 10 hot dogs, 6 bratwurst, 2 chicken breasts, 2 steaks, a turkey breast, a pork tenderloin, 1/2 pork loin or a lot of other items at one time. However if you want to grill veggies and other stuff along with the meat, you might want a small or even a medium.

• Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Options
    chefarnoldi,
    Have a large, med and mini. Uasally only cook for the wife and I and I use the mini a lot especially if a lot of side dishes are not being grilled- can do 2 burgers and 2 baked no problem. Main reason for the mini though is to take to races and tailgate, it travels well.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    IMG_3792-1.jpg
    <p />Wise One,
    Thanks. I like to have idenitity with my eggs and a custom handle is fun. Besides, I have a better grip with this one! Ya gotta smile. Here is my handle for the large.
    Have a super 4th,
    Clay

• Ottawa_egger
    Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]I see your mini has solid supports connecting the handle to the egg. Is that also custom? Mine has the flimsy wires and I'd rather have a more solid support.[p]Ottawa_egger
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,[p]That's the pic of his large. See the first pic in his first post on the mini...
  • Ottawa_egger
    Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
    Options
    sumrtym,[p]My mistake. I never thought to take a closer look at the egg - I've never seen anyone with more than two sausages!!![p]Ottawa_egger