Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long do you heat up the platesetter for pizza?

Kevin D
Kevin D Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up a plate setter. I'm making pizza tonight. In the past I've used firebricks. Any suggestions on how long the setter/stone combo should pre-heat? I was thinking 45 minutes at about 600 degrees. I paid $17 for the large BGE setter. That seems too cheap. I think it was an mistake. One I'll live with. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Kevin D, yes I'd say you probably paid wholesale. Mine cost me 29.95 at my BGE dealer.
    So happens I'm doing pizza tonight too as I do often. Like most things to each his own, but I like to get my fire going good say 275-300 before adding my plate sitter and stone. All in all it takes 45-50 minutes to get to the 500 550 range or higher, but since you are controlling the heat you could make it a little quicker. Enjoy!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Kevin D,
    Are you cooking directly on the setter? If so, I'd
    keep the temp to 550-575 since you don't have enough mass.
    I use my BGE stone on the setter and cook at aroud 650.
    I get more of a brick oven result with 2 stones at 650.
    You are more likely to burn the pizza at 650 with one stone.
    But, you will still get great results using just the
    setter. I would let it heat for 20-30 minutes before
    starting, and if you are using one stone, give it a few
    minutes to heat back up between pies ( another advantage
    of 2 stones). Have fun.[p]Chuck

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Kevin D,
    I put it on right after I pull the electric lighter and then close up the Egg to get it up to 500-550*. When it's within 100* or so I put on the pizza stone and when it hits temp I build the pizza and put it on. 10 or so mins. later dlish,dlish.
    B D

• Kevin D
    Kevin D Posts: 60
    Good tips from all. I did use the plate setter and a pizza stone. I let the temp get up to 700 before putting them in place. Next time I will do as suggested and let them come up to temp with the egg. The crust was not a good as I expected. As always, I take notes on my successes and failures. I keep them in the BGE cookbook. That's about all it's good for other than ideas. Thanks.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Kevin D,[p]Add the setter and pizza stone as soon as you get the fire started and allow them to heat with your Egg. Leave the bottom vent wide open for the entire heating and pizza cook. Leave the top vent off to allow the fastest preheat. Add the top vent once the dome temp gauge reads more than your intended cooking temp. Your Egg is ready to make pizza once you have to aggressively limit the temp using the top vent only.[p]To test if your Egg is ready to cook, lift the dome for the amount of time it takes you to insert the pie (open dome, set pie on stone, close dome). If you can regain cooking temperature within 45 seconds, you have an Egg that is well ready to cook pizza. Open the top vent wide open after closing the dome. Close it again to limit the temperature rise.[p]My preheat times are in the same range as those who have responded (30-45 minutes for the large Egg). Preheating to a higher than cooking temperature is not a problem with the cook as long as you are regulating the temperature using the vents. I don't recommend preheating much higher than 50-75°F above the intended cooking temp.[p]You got a great deal.[p]Spin