Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker Butt Question

Don from NJ
Don from NJ Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
got my stoker today, going to follow elder wards method for the butt, however i have 2 questions for the eggsperts...[p]1. where do i set the daisy wheel when using the stoker? open, closed, open some?[p]2. in the info i read on TNW's site, in Elder Wards walk thru, i didn't notice a temp to cook at? 250 dome?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Don from NJ,
    The Stoker has a flap that stops natural draft when the fan is not running. For this reason, if your Egg has good gasket seals, you can leave the daisy open.
    250 dome would be fine. I go a little lower. If your stoker is set to grate or meat level 230-235 would be good.
    Have a great holiday,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg,[p]cool, thanks for the info, i'll give it a go.. [p]have a good 4th![p]Don
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    For my stoker cooks, I almost always close down the Daisy Wheel so the "petals" holes are only open about 15 to 20 percent. The big slider hole is completely shut.[p]For higher temp cooks in the 350 to 375 range I open the daisy wheel up about half way. The blower will still move plenty of air thru the egg.[p]Also make sure you mount the blower right side up so that gravity will close the flapper valve when the fan is not running.[p]
    You do not want any airflow when the motor is not running. I think if the daisy wheel is all the way open it can let some air leak in from the top. It is easier to maintain stable, lower temp cooks this way. I usually do my butts about 230 degrees at the dome temp.[p]If your pit probe is too close to the meat it can affect the temp control.

• carpetman
    carpetman Posts: 95
    Don from NJ,
    His recipe is great - However, after many cooks my friends like Bill Blakely's recipe better. I have met Elder Ward an d his BBQ is fabulous. Try both and get the response. The Carolinas style sauce I use as a "finishing sauce" and serve my own BBQ sauce on the side. They rave about it.

• carpetman,[p]I'll try it, can you point me in the direction of where i can find Bill's recipe?