Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

drip pans.. you have a favorite

Options
tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been researching pizza pans for drip pans and wonder what ya'll think might be the optimium pan depth. I find several styles that range from 3/4, 1, 1.5 or 2 inches deep. I like the idea of a 1 inch deep, straight sided pan but wonder if spillage might be an issue when lifting it out of the egg after a long cook. Two inch pans work great when adding apple juice and such for flavor but I don't do that anymore.

Any thoughts or suggestions on other drip pans. Thanks Tom[p]

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    tjv,
    when i need a drip pan, i just always make one out of double folded HDAF. ..that way, my pan is always customized to fit whatever meat is sitting over it. . .and fold the walls about 1 - 2 inches high, and it will hold plenty of liquid if i want to put in apple juice or something. . ..

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I do the same, customize for each application. -RP

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    tjv,
    actually I have three that get all of my action. Smallest is 8.5 x 8.5 x 1.5. Then for bigger items such as roasts I use a 9 x 11 x 1.5. Iffin I want full coverage I use a round cake pan 12" diameter. For every use I line with foil to make clean up a snap.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    tjv,
    i use my 13.5 inch diameter paella pan for low and slows, turkey, casseroles etc. i line the inside with foil when used as a drip pan.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    tjv,
    i'm cheep.[p]heavy duty tin foil!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    tjv,[p]I let it drip into the bbq. If the plate setter is on there, I cover it with foil to keep it clean. (Learned the hard way and it got yucky, but the dogs licked it clean for me, so now I try and keep it that way. Dogs wish I wouldn't.)[p]What's the purpose of a drip pan and why would I use one? Not being sarcastic - I really want to know.[p]Gwen

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    tjv,[p]I use a 14 x 2 aluminium cake pan, along with either ceramic spacers or a foil snake as a standoff from the platesetter. It has a rolled lip, so it is easy to remove when necessary.[p]I would not hesitate to try a shallower pan.[p]Big T

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    catches the drippings under a turkey for the gravey

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    stike,
    That's what I use, I'm cheep and lazy too.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    duckegg,
    who you callin lazy?[p]heh heh heh

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    ribs_on_bge.jpg
    <p />tjv,[p]I wrap a pizza pan in foil and put a 1" deep rectangle aluminum cakepan in that. Pizza pan is roughly the same diameter as the plate setter. The rectangle pan catches most of the grease, the pizza pan gets a little more and the rest becomes aromatic flavoring. [p]I figure that this gets the maximum surface area that can be covered. Big point is everthing is disposable.[p]Look at the picture.[p]Cheers
    [ul][li]my simple website[/ul]
  • tjv
    Options
    100_0005.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome, I've stopped using foil because the bottom seems to hang out, unsupported, somewhere and develops leaks. But your comments paired with what I was doing got the wheels turning. This may just be what I'm looking when smoking ribs or brisket.[p]The oval grid, 13x17.5, I had fabricated to match the length of bbacks racks.. So, just foil the grid then foil a pan to sit on the grid. Now the pan is fully supported to match ribs or a brisket. The foil acts as the drip pan and indirect piece.....no burnt ends. Cool, thanks for the kick in the rear to jump start the brain.

100_0002.jpg[p]100_0003.jpg[p]

• tjv
    Options
    stike, like Max thanks for the kick to jump start me...T

• tjv
    Options
    RRP, I'm leaning to 1.5 inch pans. I figure the extra half inch. vs 1 inch, might come in handy one day. Do you know the material thickness of your pans. Typically 14, 16, 18 or 22 gage material. 14 gage is 1.5mm, 18 gage is 1mm. T

• tjv
    Options
    dimplesmom, I use the pans to keep things clean and act as the indirect piece. I don't use the platesetter. T

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    tjv,
    guage? No I really don't but all 3 are sturdy older pans which were "hand-me-downs" that wifey said I could have forever!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    JerryD,
    What brand of rib rack is that in the picture, with the rounded ends? Nice and long slots!

Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    JerryD,
    What brand of rib rack is that in the picture, with the rounded ends? Nice and long slots!

Judy in San Diego
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Ah! Now, that makes sense to me.[p]Gwen[p]

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    tjv,[p]I really like the platesetter, except that it's a pain to go from indirect to direct. Very hard to get that heavy hot thing outa there. I'm not sure I think a thin drip pan is a good substitute, tho, unless you have an x large and can spread the lump out a bit. I don't know - I'm not that advanced and experienced. Obviously it's working for you![p]Gwen
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi Judy Mayberry,[p]You know I am not sure. I have had that for a really long time... I got it at the grill store. For sure it is nice and very easy to clean.[p]Actually the only problem with it is that it really only holds 4 racks. I just bought a new one today that will hold 6. Will send pics on that one too with all 6 racks, hopefully it will work just as well.[p]I did a quick search on the internet and it seeems Weber makes one really similar. There is a really cool one that I would probably buy if I didn't just get one today - I put that link below.
    [ul][li]Cool Rib Rack [/ul]
  • ThinkandDrive
    Options
    You guys may or may not believe this. But I've been using an aluminum paint tray. :laugh:

I find it fits right under my ghetto raised grid and is large enough to cover the whole bottom of my butt V-rack.

Then again, for a ceramic mass, I also use a terracotta flower pot saucer.
  • Bluegillman
    Options
    tjv,
    Wow best idea on the leveling rack! I kinda like the way it is made! Can I ask on what and how the whole thing looks like?