Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firing up the Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay y'all, I normally use an electric starter but mine are getting burned up to the tune of about 1 per month. Reckon I'm leaving them too long and the fire's melting the cord and such. I know alot of y'all are using propane torch type starters. What other ways besides those two are there? Got any links? Sorry haven't been around in a while. Oldest son had a serious car accident back in late April and now going thru a divorce now. I got the Egg though!!

Comments

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Lot's of ways. I use Weber starter blocks (don't think they are being sold anymore.) Other fireplace starters work also.[p]I start from the bottom most times but you have to find what works for you.[p]Spacey
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    HR3,
    Someone (sorry I can't remember who) uses a square of paper towel moistened with vegetable oil. I have tried it, and it works great. Not as much fun as the MAPP torch, though, which is what I use.

• Unknown
    Options
    uncbbq,
    First time I have heard of that one! I'll have to give that one a try!

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 103
    Options
    Spaceman Spiff,[p]I just bought a box of Weber fire starters about 10 days ago at my local Barbecues Galore. They might have just had some leftover inventory, but you never know....[p]Matt
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    uncbbq,
    here you go.[p]i was at a friend's camp, and he had a propane-fired weber charcoal grill (propane igniter). this was WAY faster,[p]in my large, it hits 700+ in fifteen minutes. you will never run out of the stuff to light it, and even using olive oil, it's still cheaper than most other stuff as far as i can tell. not my invention, but i don't mind popularizing it.[p]couple paper napkins[p]01.jpg[p]...folded...[p]02.jpg[p]03.jpg[p]04.jpg[p]05.jpg[p]then i build a little pyramid over it. no exaggeration, this will be at 700+ in fifteen minutes max. [p]06.jpg

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    stike,[p]Does this work with other napkins, or just couple paper napkins? :)
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    stike,
    That was beautiful!
    You are giving TNW a run for his money. Would that make you the Fully Clothed Whiz? Whiz Junior? Cheese Whiz?.....[p]How was Vaca?
    I'm going up to Jackson on Sunday for the week.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    i was in the office this morning, just before 8, til around 9:30. where were you?[p]vacation was great. thought i'd save space by leaving the egg home since they had a weber charcoal dealio, but it pales by comparison. the thermo went to 550. my bro said "that's pretty hot!" and i reminded him that on my egg, 550 is "medium"[p]hit jackson for a day. was 95 degrees. no one there. hahaha[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    57627903.jpg
    <p />Hi HR3,[p]I use little starter cubes (BGE brand at Grill store) or also got some starter sticks (basically sawdust held together by flamible something from Kroger).[p]I have just placed it in the middle of the charcoal and light. Leave grill open til it gets started.[p]A faster way is to use a chimney starter (pic above) with those starter sticks at the bottom. 1) Fill egg 3/4. 2) get chimney starter 3) put sticks in bottom of chimney starter 4) Add charcoal right on top of starter stick/cube in chimney starter 5) light starter cube/sticks in chimney starter and put chimney top of charcoal in egg and let it get going good. 6) Pour lit charcoal on top of unlit charcoal in egg.[p]You can also use newspaper in bottom of chimney starter, but makes a little mess.[p]Hope this makes sense. For me this is a decently fast way short of the propane or electric.[p]Cheers....JerryD
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    stike,
    Tuesdays- RFI's and submittals on site 8:00-9:00, then Job meeting 9:00 till whenever. Fortunately only an hour today. Everyone wanted out of there.

• RNLV
    RNLV Posts: 42
    Options
    stike,
    I tried the paper towel that I drained my bacon grease on.
    Tore in half, folded in one inch strips, (gives me
    two places to lite) work into the charcoal and lite. A bite messy
    but works great. 700 degrees in no time.