Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2:25 AM - I Must Be The Only One Up

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Once again the pea is rolling around in my little brain at 2:00 AM Central Texas Time, and once again I can't sleep because of it. There's so many thoughts being generated that I just might be the one to come up with a cure for the common cold. That is if I can recall it tomorrow morning... But that thought is soon replaced by another, and another, and another...[p]For exmple, Spring Hen has made it clear that she wants a larger Dutch Oven for her upcoming birthday. So I've been researching Dutch Ovens. There are a lot of them. I kinda like the idea of getting the Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron 9 Qt. Round French Oven, or any other brand that is enameled cast iron. 9 quarts should just about take care of anything we want to cook in a Dutch Oven (or in this case - French Oven).[p]But our increasingly large collection of cookware and accessories is becoming a storage nightmare. We're just about to fill up the gas grill. So where else can we store all this stuff, especially where it won't get rusty or damaged?[p]Anyway, that's just one thought. Another is how does one go about building a canoe? No, I don't want to build a canoe. It's just something the pea bumped into while rolling around. Must be a thought leftover from my Boy Scout days.[p]Anyway, I was just trying to pass some time until I can get back in sleep mode.[p]Goodnight folks who are up and about at this hour.[p]Spring "Bird Brain On A Mission" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I like my large enameled Lodge DO. Got it from Amazon.com with free shipping.[p]Spacey
  • Reb
    Reb Posts: 74
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Glad I'm not the only one who wakes up and can't go back to sleep because I can't clear my mind. Although I was laying there figuring what time I need to put my pork butt on the egg for Wednesdays party, etc. not how to build a canoe. That's classic!. [p]If you are still up, what's the trick in rolling out bulk sausage to make a stuffed fatty?

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Reb,
    Hummmmm!!! I've never made a Fatty so I'd be guessing at it. But I think it's just a matter of using some wax paper to spread the sausage out, roll it thin, spread your stuffing and roll it back up. If I was doing it for the first time without instructions that would be my approach.[p]Another method might be to hollow out the center with a piece of tubing of some kind (maybe a tail piece for a sink drain) and stuff it with any kind of meats, fruits, vegetables. Maybe some rice with chopped up jalapenos.[p]Sounds good though.[p]I feel a sleep coming on. Good luck.[p]Spring "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Spaceman Spiff,
    Yea, I saw that. It's on the short list. Thanks.[p]Spring "Brain Out Of Order" Chicken

• SkyRider
    SkyRider Posts: 41
    Options
    Reb,
    A Fatty is probably the the easiest and most "configurable" thing you can cook on a BGE... You can use a 1 Lb pkg of sausage, or combine 2...you can flatten it out like a rectangle, apply the fillings of your choice, then re-roll, or (like we did @ Eggs-by-the-Bay) just mix in things like chopped jalapenos & apricots (sweet & hot) To keep the roll intact, all you have to do is use some alum foil for about 10-15 min until the fatty "tightens up" or the BBQ GURU folks have hi temp silicon mats (HOLE-E-SMOKES)that work great when you roll up the fatty. Good Luck...

• Reb
    Reb Posts: 74
    Options
    SkyRider,
    Great! Thanks for the help!