Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How to clean the cast iron grid?

edited 6:01PM in EggHead Forum
I enjoy using the cast iron grid on my Medium -- but cleaning it is a royal pain. I got a wire brushie with a handle... which gets about 80% of the goo off. But -- that last 20%![p]I've seen scrapers for the ceramic grid -- but what's out there to use on the cast iron?[p]~ B

·

Comments

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Broc in Council Bluffs,
    I just get it good and hot and hit it with the brush. -RP

·
  • WoodChuckWoodChuck Posts: 29
    AZRP,
    I saw an item last night on HGTV called the Grill Floss although made for a Stainless steel grill the idea is to clean both the top and bottom of a rounded grill grate. Would this work just as well?[p]Let's ALL RAISE THE BAR - B - Q!

·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Wood Chuck,
    I think the cast is to rough for that tool. -RP

·
  • Broc in Council Bluffs,[p]Just let it get hot for a few minutes. 600 deg for 10 to 20 min. then shut down should do it. No more or the gasket could be in trouble.

·
  • Broc in Council Bluffs,
    When I bought my Egg the dealer told me that he never cleaned his grid as it left cook flavor for future cooks and good grill marks on the meat. I occasionally use my ash tool to knock debris off though.

·
  • Broc in Council Bluffs,
    Morning. All cooking cast iron should be seasoned which should make cleaning easier. I don't know if those grids come pre-seasoned but a wire brush will take off most of the seasoning which will compound your problem next cook.
    No soap either. That doesn't leave much but elbow grease and cursing. Good luck.

·
  • Broc in Council Bluffs,[p]Woosies! Burn 'er clean like a man.
    ·
  • Broc in Council Bluffs,[p]Thanks to All -- [p]~ Best Woosday Wishes![p]~ B
    ·
  • Broc in Council Bluffs,[p]Man - I thought that last 20% was called flavoring.[p]:->[p]Cheers....JerryD
    [ul][li]my big green webpage[/ul]
    ·