Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter Cracked

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I set my plate setter down on it's side during initial heating of the egg. It fell over and cracked clean all the way through. Can anyone help? I read that a heat resistant epoxy will work? Just looking for a recommended product I can pick up at lunch tomorrow from HD or Lowe's
Thanks in advance.
MJ

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Mario Jaekel,[p]JB Weld from Ace hardware works.

• billy bob
    billy bob Posts: 16
    Mario Jaekel,
    Some people do it but I wouldn't. The epoxy will be sitting right on top of your fire and it might give off a lot of fumes. IMHO

• Richard,
    ANother poster mentioned the fumes from the JB Weld. Did yours crack and you use JB Weld? I want o make sure someone has done this before and is still living..
    Many Thanks!

• Richard
    Mario Jaekel,[p]I have used it for 2 years on a pottery plate setter before the BGE came out with their own. After hanging around here 5 years and the JB is frequently recommended for fire rings, boxes etc, never heard of any problems.
  • Richard,
    Check out this pic. I've not used JB Weld before. You think it will hold based on where the crack s located?
    PlateSetter1.jpg

• Richard
    Mario Jaekel,[p]$5 for JB is a good investment and if it doesn't work, go to plan "B" for about $35-40, whatever a new plate setter costs today. Just make sure that whatever the platesetter sits on to cure is not a permanent fixture or it will become part of the BGE family. hehe try cardboard or something that the heat will burn off without any nasty fumes,not like a plastic base.
  • Mario Jaekel,
    I used JB Weld .... it worked for a few cooks and then it came apart again. Buy a new one, you're gonna anyway IMHO.

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa.