Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket

Options
Berky
Berky Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all. I just got myself a 6 pound brisket and am planning on doing it this Sunday. My plan is: marinate it Saturday night, then get the egg started at 6am Sunday (good lord!). I will use firebricks under a drip pan and the brisket in the v-rack over all of that. Am going for 250 degrees and am figuring on about 12 hours for the 6 pounder. I will probably use a rub as well as the marinade and go with some mesquite for smoke. Am going to go with the fat cap up will make a nice q sauce for the sandwiches. Am i missing anything? Any hints?
PS, thanks to the help of Char-Woody and others on the forum, my first turkey on the egg last weekend turned out better than incredilbe! Thanks to you all for the assistance.

Comments

• Berky,[p]I haven't tried a brisket on my egg yet, but here's something that I like doing when cooking on my other smoker.[p]1) Cut slits through the fatcap into the meat, spacing them about 1.5 inches apart. Cut the pockets parallel with the grain of the meat. Don't cut all the way through, just enough to make a small pocket[p]2) Cut 1 clove of garlic in half and stuff both pieces into each little pocket.[p]3) marinade, rub, etc. then cook.[p]I typically use between 10 to 15 cloves per brisket. If you try this on the egg, let me know how it goes.[p]Kevin

• Berky
    Options
    Kevin Klostermann,
    Kevin the idea sounds great to me but unfortunately my wife is not a big fan of garlic (i am). I may try it just on a portion of the meat and leave her side alone. thanks for the tip.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    berky, there is a new product out and its liquid garlic in a spray bottle..I can get the name for you if you wish. Maybe even a website..Apply it after the cook with the meat is still hot. Spray your portion and enjoy..
    C~W
    BTW..do it outdoors..or light the fragramce candles..

• TOROLNSTND
    Options
    Berky,
    Why the firebricks?

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Berky,
    Sounds like a great plan....if anything a bit short on time if you add in getting the fire established....but it should work well. Times for each chunk-o-chest vary....cool thing is if it is done early, the foil/towel/cooler method works great to keep it hot for hours....and if it seems to be stubborn, and cooking slowly, then you can kick the dome temp up to 275-300 as soon as the internal temp of the brisket hits 170. And hopefully you won't eat too late.[p]Only "hint' I have is to resist temptation to peak (except thru the top cap). With a brisket, I usually don't open the cooker at all until Polly Polder chirps 185. Works for me anyways.[p]Have fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Berky
    Options
    TOROLNSTND,
    That's a good question. I figure it protects the botom of the brisket from getting too much heat on it. Also it makes it seem a little more "indirect" for me.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    berky, they provide as you say a firebarrier. This can be achieved with a drip pan also..However, firebricks are ceramic and provide both, a barrier to the drip pan to keep fats and liquids from burning, and to provide more themal mass to hold more even temperatures over a long haul cook.
    They radiate heat to the underneath portion of the cook as the sides and top dome provide to the other portions. You can use the firebricks alone if you wish. I have done that with no real side affects other than maybe a meaty smoke taste. Low and slow of course is the best way to use firebricks. Pizza setups can be done also. In combination with the plate setter. Or use the plate setter and a pizza stone as Spin sets his up.
    Many cooks never use a firebrick and do their cooks successfully, so its not a "need" to have item. Mine are always handy, as I find a use for them in about every cook.
    For instance with a brisket flat on a second grill, you won't need a V rack and you get a more even cook. Using 2 firebrick on edge to suspend your second grill, you get more distance between the brisket and the drip pan..This gives better air circulation around the meat/turkey/duck/chicken/boston butt. A more uniform cook IMHO.
    Been using em for 3 or more years..!
    Hope this helps a bit...Dealers choice on the firebricks.
    :-)
    C~W[p]