Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Nuts Anyone

Options
Just-RuthandJim
Just-RuthandJim Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Southern Living article discussing smoked cheese (yes, I will wait for colder weather to try that one) also discussed smoking pecans. We are very fond of smoked nuts and have been given quite a few almonds. When we are in California visiting family we really enjoy the smoked almonds....they come in many flavors and most are very good. Has anyone used the BGE for smoking almonds...if so do you have any recommendations for time, temperature, etc.??
Thank you all for being here for us new users...the advice I have found directly and through lurking has been wonderful and time saving!

Comments

• Just-RuthandJim, I've smoked almonds several times and queen size unpitted grren olives too! If you think the nuts will be the same as say Blue Diamond brand you'll be disappointed as their's has some spices as well as smoke. I just use a lot of hickory chips to lay a heavy smoke on them. I use one of those splatter shields for frying (round screen thing with handle bent up) and place direct on the grill with nuts scattered. I prefer plain though I have also sprayed them with olive oil in a Mr Misto and sprinkled on garlic salt. Temp and time wise I kept it low like 225-240 and when an hour. The almonds can get burnt and then they are bitter, so check your progress. Good luck and if you have some queens put a few on at the same time. Those can be returned to an empty dry jar for the refrig for a long time. I always cut small pieces from those smoked olives and put on pizza. Oooooeeeee good stuff! ^oo^~

• Just-RuthandJim
    Options
    one feral kat, Thanks for the info...I do not expect the Blue Dimond flavor, but some experimentation is always good. Next time we get to DC we will get some more olives and try smoking them..we use a lot of olives in a salsa type mix. We get several different kinds of green and ripe olives. I even pit them since the flavor is better I think. Use aproximately equal parts of ripe olives, green olives, carrots, and garlic. Use a food processor to chop up and olive oil to get the proper consistency. It works well in bread, on crackers, as a sandwitch spread and as a topping for salmon.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    one feral kat, Haven't smoked any almonds, but I do like smoked pistachios (smoke 'em shell on, same technique as you use for almonds). Try 'em sometime. (I'll be tryin' your olives soon as I can find some queens.)
  • BlueSmoke, t'wasn't my idear! Here's proper credit as I was just talkin out of memory...
    http://BigGreenEgg.com/recipes/newRecipes/veggies0107.htm

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Just-RuthandJim, Welcome to the forum.
    I have smoked almonds indirect at ~200~250* using a little hickory for smoke. Like feral cat says, use some kind of screen or grille to hold them. I just put them in a tupperware type bowl, added even amounts of soy and worchestershire sauce, a few shakes of cayenne pepper and garlic salt and put the lid on an shake 'em up.
    I add more salt if needed while they cook, sampling till done, seems like 20~30 minutes?
    They will most likely need to be turned at least once to prevent scorching (bad!).
    HTH,
    ChefRD[p][p][p]