Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fatties question

Larry McSassLarry McSass Posts: 56
edited 6:02PM in EggHead Forum
I am trying to make fatties for the first time. I am feeding about 30 men at a breakfast tomorrow morning. I bought 4- 2 lb Jimmy Dean Sausage rolls. When I look at the pics people have posted of these, the pics look like way more meat than the 2 pounders I bought. They are long and skinny. Will they take less time because they are thinner? Should I combine some of them? Any suggestions, ideas would be very helpful. Anyone know how long I should expect them to take? Thanks so much.
·

Comments

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    Larry McSass,[p] They plump up; however, I would go to the store and buy about 10 - 15 more.. 40 men will inhale and 4 pounds will be gone; furthermore, you'll have 36-37 angry men who didn't get any.[p]
    ·
  • hankhank Posts: 84
    Definitely get some more! I watched one of my friends inhale an entire fattie in about half an hour once. What I do is if I'm going to serve them with biscuits, I use them just as they come out of the package. If I'm doing little hors d'oeuvres, I roll them out a bit and cut down the cook time.

Don't forget to lay on the rub! :)

Hank
    ·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Larry McSass,[p]The 2# logs I get are the same diameter as the 1# ones. I take fatties to work a lot and as far as amount goes, I make 5 or 6 of the 1# ones for 15 guys. Biscuits or some loaves of Texas toast both work good. [p]don't know who you are cooking for but I work around crews of ironworkers and welders, a lot of them are single too, so they can put a real hurt on food at morning break time. Last Saturday, 17 hands devoured 32 pulled pork sandwiches, a case of Mountain Dew and 2 huge bags of chips in just over 20 minutes. Take a bottle of mustard too, it's good on a fatty sandwich.[p]Below is my how-to on fatties. I foil finish ones I plan on reheating the next day.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    [ul][li]Fatties[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • SaucehogSaucehog Posts: 30
    thirdeye,
    excellent post. I have never done a fattie, but as soon as I am done typing here, I am on the way to the store.[p]I'll post how it turns out.[p]Cheers,
    Saucehog

·
    Saucehog,[p]You will always remember the first time you smoked a fatty.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

·
    thirdeye,
    ok, I'm back from the store. I bought a "hot" version Jimmy Dean 1# and a regular version.[p]Have you had the hot? Also, If I roll one, what do you recommend putting in it?[p]Thanks,
    Saucehog

·
  • AlaskanCAlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    hahahaha..... ha
    ·
  • AlaskanCAlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Saucehog,[p]What evvah you want!![p]fattiestuffing.jpg[p]fattiesfinished.jpg
    ·
    Saucehog,[p]Yes, I've had both of those kinds as well as maple and one called seriously hot. The ones I don't care for have BOLD in their names. [p]Smoking them as-is with just a rub is very good and like AlaskanC said, about anything is good stuffed in them. Cheese is generally popular. Peppers are too. Maybe she will re-post her pictures from the recent past, they looked really good. They could have been Italian fatties.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

·
  • J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    thirdeye, talk like this makes me nervous!

·
    Thanks for the tips. I did a couple of fatties today. [p]They were great and extemely easy. We had a hell of a dinner breakfast..put the sliced fatty on some biscuits and chowed down.[p]Next week we I will try to roll a fatty w/goodies.
    ·