Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

What are my chances of success?

KingerKinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of cooking a brisket for about 5-6 hours in my large egg then foiling and refrigerating it before it is done. The next morning I will put it in a cold cooler and drive 8 hours to my sisters house and then finish cooking it in the foil in an oven. What chance do I have of having a great finished product? I don't expect to win a competition this way but hope to provide the primary ingredient for a yummy dinner. Thoughts? I am thinking I will add some beef broth or beef base and water before it goes in the oven.[p]Kinger

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,424
    Kinger aka JNK,[p]Don't do the partial cook thing. Fully cook it the way you normally like them, rest about an hour, keep the temp above 140°. Meanwhile drop a bag of ice into your cooler (that's a switch huh?) and add some water. Slip the brisket into a vacuum bag with any drippings if you have them. Then seal the bag. Don't vacuum it, just seal it. (I actually do double seals about 1/2" apart.) Then into the iced water. with that bad boy.[p]What you are trying to do is get it as cold as possible (near 40°) as fast as possible. After an hour in the iced water, dry the pouch and refrigerate. Keep it cold in a cooler during the drive and reheat as planned.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • DobieDadDobieDad Posts: 502
    thirdeye,[p]In posting on brisket once, did I read that you sometimes prefer to hold the brisket in the refrigerator for a day before eating, and that this provides a better flavor?[p]If so, what is your preferred method for reheating?[p]Many thanks,[p]DD
    DobieDad,[p]Yes, it's for flavor.[p]First choice is in a vacuum bag using a Nesco roaster with heated water. Second choice is in a covered pan or in a foil pouch (with drippings or a broth mixture) in a 250° oven or cooker until heated through.[p]The week after the 4th I'm helping with a Fair and Rodeo barbecue my buddy throws every year. I am cooking 50 to 60 pounds of packers Sunday. On Monday night we will both cook 80 pounds of butts and a case of lamb legs. Not sure on the weight there. Tuesday morning I am cooking 20 fatties and the burnt ends. Around noon, One guy will be pulling the pork because I usually man the cutting table, slicing the brisket and lamb fresh for the serving line. I hope there will be time for some pictures. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

thirdeye,[p]Thanks! You solved a problem for me, and no doubt contributed to my enjoyment of brisket.[p]Whew! That's a lotta Q![p]Have fun! Wish I was standing in that serving line :-)[p]DD
    DSC02385a.jpg
    <p />DobieDad,[p]Here is a lunch plate of some brisket reheated in the vac bags. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

thirdeye,[p]Yep! That would do me well![p]Thanks again,[p]DD
  • KingerKinger Posts: 147
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks for the ideas. I picked up two flats at Sam's and will follow your advice. That plate looks awesome! Good luck with the "Monster Cook" that is ahead of you and Happy 4th.[p]Kinger