Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Q-What can I do with a tough brisket?

Options
Sandman
Sandman Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My brisket has been going for about 5 and 1/2 hours and its already 188 degrees- and its real tough and not real tastey- [p]It was however, an extremely lean brisket to begin with - Anyhow, should I keep it low and slow in the hopes it will get moister? or should I use it for a door stop? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Sandman,
    I'd let it hit 195-200. If it's still tough. Dump a beer on it and wrap it in tin foil for a few hours. At least you can say you tried. I wouldn't door stop it quite yet.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Sandman,
    You could trim out some of the tastier pieces and make burnt ends...
    Chuck

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Hi Mickey,[p]I did a brisket Friday at 225° and it took 11 hours. Five or six seems way short.[p]You might continue on course. You might also consider braising it, that is, double wrap it tightly in HD foil with a couple of ounces of red wine or beer. And maybe a pkg or two of Lipton onion soup if you have them (per Max's recipe) or some sliced onions for added savory flavor. Put it back into the Egg for another two hours and check it.[p]Good luck![p]Our best to you two![p]R&G

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Sandman,
    You will never get a brisket to be as tender as a pork butt. It has more muscle. You have to get it to 200 degrees and then wrap it for resting. If that don't get it, see if the dog can chew it. lol[p]Chef Jerry
    Not a brisket lover

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Sandman, if it turns out too dry or tough, just chop it and make bbq brisket sandwiches, same technique as pork butt sandwiches but tomato based bbq sauce. How much sauce you use it up to you, but I recommend light, then have extra, warm, around for spreading....[p]I like 'em with pickles....ya know I've put on a few pounds and my belly is bigger, I wonder if I'm prega........oh no! T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Sandman,
    hey, i thought you were gonna follow my jewish brisket recipe? . ..try wrapping it tight and letting it sit in a warmer for a couple of hours. . ..

• Sandman
    Sandman Posts: 36
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I did for awhile, then i got pre-occupied and screwed up. [p]In retrospect the brisket had hardly any fat- could have contributed to the problem. Thanks again-next time will be better.