Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GIVE ME THE BIRD,.. RECIPE

Options
MAC
MAC Posts: 442
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
GOT THE COAL GOING THE BIRD STUFFED WITH,APPLES AND ORANGES THE FIRE BRICKS READY WITH DRIP PAN. I NEED TO KNOW HOW LONG FOR A 12lb BIRD, WHAT TEMP AND INTERNAL FINISH TEMP THANKS TO ALL THOSE EXPERTS. MY FIRST BIRD[p]MAC

Comments

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    MAC, I'm praying for you. I'm just watching this time...

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    MAC,[p]At a dome temp of 325-350, figure roughly 15 minutes per pound. Finished internal temp is about 160 in the breast, 175 in the thigh. Oiling the skin will help it brown & crisp. Be sure & let the bird rest for 1/2 hour before carving.[p]Cathy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MAC, I am laughing so hard at K'of Coals I might make a few mistakes..[p]I take it "the bird" is a turkey, and multiply 12 x 15 to 20 minutes per lb..and you will have around 3 t0 3 to 3.5 hour cook, depending on temperature..I use 350 to 375, even as high as 400 over firebricks..FYI, I have found when using a drip pan, to elevate the object over the lip of the drip pans so the meat is in a full air suspension. If not, then the drip pan will deflect the heat in close proximity to the meat causing un-uniform doneness to the object your cooking. This is why I like to use a double grill arrangement, and use only the grill for the meat with the drip pans 3 to 4 inches below the meat. It's quite noticable in the smoke ring affects.[p]For your cook, arrange it as you wish,,temperature at 350 to 400, and polder in thigh or breast, centered in meat away from the bone. Go for a 168 t0 170 breast, 180 thigh temp. When reached, remove bird..tent in foil for 15 to 20 minutes...slice and watch the juices run...oooooh boy..
    What time is lunch...K'of Coals will be there for samples.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Hya Cat darlin, He can tell, I learned it all from you. We were close again...how are ya??

• Cat
    Options
    Hi Fred! I'm okay...can't stop thinking about Bill. The man sure left his mark. He won't be forgotten.[p]Hope you have a good weekend, and thanks for sending us your lovely weather. ;-}[p]Cathy[p]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Cat, Yeh, me too! Keep in touch as there is a memorial of sorts in the works..nothing "fixed in concrete" yet. E.mail me your ideas if you like. Cheers..C~W[p]
  • Cat
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Wonderful idea. I'll be in touch.[p]Cathy

• MAC
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the info from all. Strange thing: I have the vent door open all the way and am holding the temp with the daisy slider wheel on the top. I carded (checked this Turkey's I.D.) before I bought him. I didn't want one that was old enough to vote. To K.O.K. I deliver if it turns out well. Talk about a bad combination; Type "A" personality and Scottish temper. Temp didn't get above 212f for quite a while so I’m out there with the fireplace bellows blowing in the vent to get the temp up. [p]MAC

• Char-Woody
    Options
    MAC, a hair dryer on low speed works great..high speed blows too much ash around with meat inside. IMHO anyway!!
    The firebricks if put in cold will hold the temps down for a longer period of time..Next time, heat both bricks and BGE to the desired temp..The the bird.
    Looking forward to your prime bird results..C~W

• I hope they realize that "The the bird" is a typo over write..:-(

• MAC
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I see I'm not the only type A in the world. Bird was GRRRRRR.....ATE! ! ! Done in two hours. Can't wait to get a GOOD thermometer or a 2nd Polder to tell the real temp at the grill. After reading the threads sounds like I waisted some good stout in the drip pan. Next time water. Turkey soup this week. I want to cook all this stuff but there is just the two of us. Oh yea and the diet.Maybe I can just fire it up and put in some chunks and feel the warmth and smell the wood. Does my heart good just thinking about it. Seeeee Ya[p]MAC

• Char-Woody
    Options
    MAC, and save the carcass..boil it for several hours on simmer boil for a few hours..till all the ones fall apart. Toss the meat and save the juice for great soup..Cat and MaryB are sooooper soup makers.
    Cheers..C~W