Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humpty wouldn't get hot...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all.[p]Last night I did steaks for the first time. I was trying to follow someones recipe that basically said to sear at 700 degrees, then dwell.[p]So I loaded Humpty (yes, I'm plagerizing the name...) with fuel, sterted him up, opened the vents, and waited. And waited. And waited.[p]After a half-hour of not going over 550, I said too bad, and cooked the steaks. Because of the lower sear temp, I let them dwell longer, which was a mistake. The came out a bit over-done for my tastes.[p]Any idea as to what I should have done differntly? I didn't have the firebox full of fuel, so was wondering if that was it. It was just over half-way, maybe 2/3 full. I could look down into it from the top and see very nice red glowing coals (look really neat!), but just didn't seem to want to get up there.[p]Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Timothy Reaves,
    I assume you have calibrated your guage so that's not an issue. A 700°+ fire consumes much-o lump by comparison but you should have been able to get there with what you said you had in there. One secret though I have found is when I want nuke temps and soon I place my Weber starter cube under the grate...just toss it through the bottom vent, light and push it to the center. The up draft that creates gives a better hotter fire IMHO. Also check your email.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Timothy Reaves, I think just the reverse would have worked better. Start with a smaller amount of coals and add what you need once the red hots are burning. Or you may have some rocks (or other debri) plugging your vent holes, or ash has accumulated to restrict air flow in the ash pit.
    Situations creating the condition you described are variable. Check all the suggestions..lump size..quantity of left over lump..(it ignites and burns slower due to the exterior ash.) ect.
    Good luck.
    C~W

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Timothy Reaves,[p]2/3 full in the firebox should have been plenty for the temp you were seeking. It's possible that the holes in the lower coal grate were clogged with small pieces of lump and restricting airflow. Also have you checked your thermometer in boiling water for calibration? You just might have been cooking at 700*+ and the longer cook overdid your meat. I'm assuming that your lump was fresh and dry. It will absorb humidity quickly if the bag is left open.[p]K~G[p]
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Timothy Reaves,
    You have to make sure the holes in the lower grate are unrestricted. Insert a bent coat hanger or similar object through the bottom vent and poke into the holes on the fire grate.
    Also, to attain the higher temperatures it's necessary to remove the daisy top.
    B D

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Timothy Reaves,
    I clean my egg everytime I cook steaks. Remove all the ash. You can also get a trivet for the bottom that will allow greater airflow. I used to have this problem as well. I am now burying the thermometer needle whenever I cook steaks. The only caveat is the backdraft! Be careful. I suggest elbow length gloves, and slow opening to burp that baby.
    ;-] BP

• Palisin,[p]I've seen several people talk about the trivet, but aren't sure where to get one. The link someone has on their web page doesn't seem to work anymore. [p]Location, anyone?[p]Also, do you mean you clean before or after?
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Timothy Reaves,
    Try this link....Lodge trivet

[ul][li]Trivet[/ul]
  • Palisin
    Timothy Reaves,
    I got mine @ http://www.lodgemfg.com/cookware.htm
    I clean before I cook. This keeps the BGE clean for cooks when I don't need to burn so hot. you just get better airflow. Again be wary my fiance will not come outside when I am cooking steaks the thing sometimes shoots flames. I have singed my dog :`( he did'nt notice but if you have kids something to think of.[p]BP

• Timothy Reaves, I presently use both a Lodge trivet in my large and a cast iron floor drain in my small. The Lodge is thin in comparison and is nearly cracked already in two. the floor drain can be acquired at good hardware stores or plumbing stores for less cost. Just remember to throw it on a burning fire to burn off the paint before cooking the first time.

• Timothy,[p]Another thing to check is that your thermometer stem is clean. If they get gunked up with grease/creosote etc. it can lower the reading. I have to clean mine about once a month.[p]my .02,[p]Jeff

• Palisin,[p]Just ordered it! I looked at the other web site posted. Their prices were the same, but Lodge's shipping was half the price![p]Thanks!

• Palisin
    Timothy Reaves,
    Another word, make sure you do not stir your coals or at least not to vigorously. If you are using the trivet it is a little unstable and will dump into the bottom of the egg! Good Groceries! ;> glad to help. You will pick up a lot from the forum.
    Go COCKS!

• Palisin
    By Clean the BGE I mean remove the firebox and remove as much ash as you can a compulsive friend of mine recommeded I use a shop vac, but that I believe is a little excessive.