Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib roast

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm considering a Prime Rib roast for the fourth. Since they are a bit pricey, I'd like some input on cooking times and so forth. I figure I'd do it low and slow for about 12 to 15 hours or to 160 to 170 degrees to done. PS. I bought a internal thermometer that works great so you don't have to open the egg to check for doneness. I recommend that egg cessory[p]Thanks for advice in advance

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Tom,[p]This site has many great recipes for the egg, Also Naked Wizard, Dizzy Pig, Well and several others.
    [ul][li]http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html[/ul]
  • Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    Tom,
    If I were you, unless you like your prime rib really really well done I wouldn't take it up to anywhere near 170 degrees. Here is how I do mine for medium to medium rare, I cook mine indirect at 250 degrees until it has an internal temp. of 122 degrees then I take it off and tent it in foil for 15 minutes or until the internal quits rising. In the meantime I take my egg up to 500 degrees then put the prime rib back in the egg for 15 minutes, then take it off and rest it 15 to 30 minutes before slicing to serve. I have done several this way and they are better than any I have ever had at a steak house. Good luck, Bucky

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    prime2.jpg
    <p />Tom,[p]Mad Max is famous for his prime rib recipe, among other things. You should check it out at the link below.[p]Really the only way to screw up a prime rib is to overcook it, and you're well on your way if you go to 160 or 170 degrees. I pull most of my prime ribs off the grill between 125 and 130 degrees.[p]Good luck,[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Mad Max's Prime Rib[/ul]
  • Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    Bucky Buckshot,
    Boy, I was on my second Martooni. I didn't mean to say 122 degrees, it should have said 222 degrees. I think, Now I am on my third one so I am not responsible for nothin. Bucky

• Unknown
    Options
    IMG_0025_2.jpg
    <p />I cook at 350 degrees and pull them off at 122 degrees internal. I let them stand uncovered for about 40 minutes and then slice for a rare to medium rare juicey serving. I use Rumrunner's Prime Rib recipe.[p]Save the drippings and add beef stock with a dash of Mrs. dash garlic seasoning for the a au Jus.[p]

[ul][li]Big Prime Rib Cook[/ul]