Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Splatcocked chicken was goooood!

edited 10:33PM in EggHead Forum
Tried TNW's method last night for first time. An hour before I marinated the split bird in two packages of McCormicks Grill Mate Mesquite...that plus the method of cooking was very good. I used two spatulas to turn and that was sloppy to say the least. Try it for a change.
PS With the chicken all spread out that way it looked like it had been airborne when it hit the windshield and a "splatted ****" is perhaps an alternative name!

·

Comments

• PalisinPalisin Posts: 64
    one feral kat,
    I tried it too. It was good. I cooked it indirect with a Olive oil rosemary, oregano herb rub I make. It was quick an easy and very juicy. Good thing about the indirect. I didn't have to turn it which would have been messy like you say. Thanks TNW!
    B{P :~)

·
  • Palisin, yup, a bird without a backbone is a pretty loose-goose when flippin~!

·
  • PalisinPalisin Posts: 64
    one feral kat,
    I had a hell of time trying to grab it with tongs. I ended up saying to hell with it and grabbed it with hands. The dirty bird was coming apart when I was pulling it off the grill. I imagine as the cook went on the turning got sloppier. One of my guests for dinner was a Gamecock alumnus as well and recommended another name. Yaah I'll leave that to ya'll guttersnipes!

·
  • char buddychar buddy Posts: 562
    palisin,[p]yeah they are tough to handle. I combined tongs with a spatula. I tried a version by Steve Raichlen in his How to Grill Book. It's a glorified pesto. Very nice.
    ·
  • J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    one feral kat,
    As much as I hate to admit it, I watched a show where Martha spatchcocked a chicken. She skewered it X-wise with some of those thick skewers. Sounds like a plan to me.... JCA

·
  • J Appledog,[p]The skewers are unnecessary in my experience. The chicken stayed flat without them.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • palisin,
    I flip mine with tongs (got some big one's). I cook it 20 minutes on the first side and 25 on the second. Maybe if I waited longer on the first side, it would fall apart. But so far, no problems flipping.[p]TWN

The Naked Whiz
    ·