Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first butt(s)

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm 6hrs into my 1st butt and so far so good. Maintaining dome temp of 250 and Polder chamber temp of 208-212. I am cooking two 6 lb. butts. There are 3 inches between the butts. Anyone have any idea about how long this will take? All the time tables I see are for 6-7 lb. single butts.

Comments

• wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    JHough,
    You can normally expect 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound with 225-250 deg. The two butts will cook at pretty much the same time as one butt... HTH[p]Robert

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    JHough, an accurate time table for butts is the million dollar question. Ya just never know exactly! One thing, cooking two generally takes the same amount of time as one. [p]Cooking raised and indirect, my butts usually take 11 hours +/- couple hour(s) at 235 grid temp. I typically cook larger than 6 pounders. You can use the bone as a gauge. Pull it out, the butts are done. [p]If the poder is on the grid, I'll guess your total cooking time will be 12 hours. T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    JHough,[p]Depending on the fat content, one butt can be done a couple hours before the other. Some stay in the plateau much longer than others.[p]I would guess 10-12 hours total depending on the temp when you started the cook. With butts, there is no choice but to wait until they are ready. Whatever you do, don't bump the temp to break the plateau. Once they are over 180 you are generally safe to bump the temp up a bit to the finish line.
  • JHough,[p]Just cooked my first yesterday -- used a little higher temp [275] -- and all went well, and everyone was delighted.[p]Let us know how all turns out![p]~ Broc