Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Pnuts????

Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went to a Braves game tonight and picked up some boiled peanuts outside the stadium (good move). I picked up a BBQ pork sandwich inside the stadium (bad move - I'm spoiled). After eating the Pork sandwich (If I had to eat this as BBQ pork, I'd have to switch to that Texas BBQ beef), I started eating the peanuts. At first I thought I was just tasting the BBQ from the pork but then I realized that the peanuts had a BBQ taste. And I know it was the peanuts because it was much better than the pork.[p]That got me to thinking what would be like to boil some peanuts on the egg with some good smoke from pecan or hickory? I was thinking about filling a dutch oven with a brine solution and cooking at about 250 for an hour or so. Anybody ever tried this? Should I try for a longer time? Any thoughts other than the Wise One has lost his mind?

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Wise One:[p]The best boiled peanuts at Turner Stadium are on the corner of Capitol Avenue and Georgia Avenue in front of the KFC. Have you ever been at the corner of McEver and Holiday at Lake Lanier? Another good source when you visit the mountains this fall . . .[p]Good boiled peanut may take as long as twenty-four hours on a conventional fuel source in a covered pot.[p]If you elect to boil peanuts on a ceramic cooker, use a stainless steel pot that can be easily removed so you can refuel your cooker, and dedicated to your BGE as it will be hard to keep clean. The use of a Dutch oven is a no-no. The water and salt will destroy and pit your fine cast iron ware! The temperature should be 250º or so, very slow subtle boil. Be prepared to add water frequently.[p]You may be better served using a "Q" seasoning and a conventional fuel source . . . Hope you made a "buddy" this evening so you could get his spice recipe!
  • Turkey
    Turkey Posts: 38
    Wise One,[p]Man I love boiled peanuts, one of the foods I miss most from Atlanta. Make sure you get the right peanuts for boiling, you need the green ones. I used to get them at any Harry's in and around Atlanta. [p]Man I could go for some boiled pnuts and a Varsity chili dog right now![p]Mark
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    djm5x9,[p]I've always been a big Pnut fan and they are an absolute must have when going to a ballgame. I've never heard of boiled nuts however and you've got my attention. My favorite is roasted and salted in the shell or better yet, Cajun Creole "hot" nuts I first discovered in N'awlins and sometimes find in the local supermarkets. Please tell me more about boiled nuts and how they differ from those above. You Georgia boys get all the good stuff.[p]K~G
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    KennyG:[p]Yeah . . . And you should see our women . . .[p]Remind me and I will bring some boiled peanuts for EGGtoberfest.
  • KennyG
    djm5x9,[p]Will do and appreciate it. Why don't ya bring your Southern Belle with you to the Fest?[p]K~G

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    KennyG,
    We boil peanuts all the time.Using your 160,000 BTU burner and a large pot...I have a 60 quart pot...Fill pot half full of water and put green peanuts and cajun spices in...Bring to a boil for about 2 hours...then cut off the fire and put the lid on the pot and let them rest over night..all the peanuts will sink to the bottom of the pot and absorb water and spices.
    Larry

• KennyG
    YB,[p]Hmmmmm,[p]A 60 qt. pot? I don't have one of those.... yet. This sounds fascinating. I may do a small batch this weekend just to try it out. When you talk about cajun spices, do you mean crab boil or something else. Spices aren't the problem, I don't remember seeing green peanuts anywhere, then again, I've never looked for them.[p]K~G

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    YB,
    I know that you know this, but for those unfamiliar, green peanuts are fresh picked or "wet" peanuts. Raw peanuts are green peanuts that have been dried but not cooked. You want green ones for boiling. More peanut trivia...
    - Peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes related to green peas.
    - During the civil war peanuts were heavily roasted and
    ground and used as a coffee substitute[p]Chuck

• YB
    KennyG,
    You can put chopped jalapeno peppers,cayenne pepper,Tony C's,chipotle powder and Franks Red hot sauce and a lot of salt.In my 15 gallon pot i put one bushel of peanuts, and whole box of salt and what ever else is laying around.My pot has a valve at the bottom to drain the water out when your finished.If you look hard...you might find something hot at your house to put in the peanuts.
    Larry

• YB
    GaDawg,
    Thanks...Your right..you need green peanuts.One time i could not find green ones...i bought raw peanuts and soaked them over night in water and then boiled them...then let them rest all night..they were pretty good.
    Larry

• Wise One,[p]Here's a recipe for boiled peanuts, straight out of "The White Trash Cookbook" by Ernest Matthew Mickler. This book also contains such scrumtious sounding recipes as "Cooter Pie (The Hunters Delight)" and "Mama Leila's Hand-Me-Down Oven-Baked Possum, so take it for what it's worth![p]Boiled Peanuts
    If they're green: put them in a pot, add water to cover and much too much salt. Boil 2 or 3 hours until the hardest ones are tender. Eat 'em as a snack. If they're dried: put them in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Cut off the fire and let them stand overnight or at least 6-8 hours. Then boil insalted water for 4 to 5 hours, until the nut in the shell is tender. Sometimes you can find them put up in cans in the grocery store.[p]This recipe is verbatim out of the cookbook.. Funny thing is that my brother actually found me a can of boiled peanuts in a grocery store in Kentucky.[p]Don't know what a cooter is and don't want to know,
    Kevin

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Kevin Klostermann, I believe a "cooter" is the little thing that dangles from the longest hair from a possums snout..[p](:
    Mop!

• YB
    Kevin Klostermann,
    I have the White Trash Cookbook also...it is really a hoot.Cooter pie is a turtle pie.
    Larry