Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A pizza cheating Eggcessory and other items.

KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
pizzgril.jpg
<p />Hi Gang,[p]First and foremost, any mention of pizza on this forum should immediately bring to mind the great work and techniques of our resident pizza king Spin. His little lady is ill as you know and really needs to be in our thoughts. Please join me in this regard.[p]Pictured is another Xmas present from well-meaning and un-knowing friends. At first glance, it would seem to fall into the same category as the battery operated BBQ fork, recently mentioned. Given a chance however, it ain't too bad.[p]Nothing but nothing can beat the pizza on the Egg experience with fresh dough and homemade sauce. With a properly preheated stone sitting on top of a plate setter and your favorite toppings, you are in for a treat. You are also in for a bit of a ritual. It's a labor of love if you will and that's half the fun - if you have time for the labor. Last night was not one of those times.[p]Yup, we had a hankering for brick oven pizza, but very little ambition after a long day so I pulled out my trusty Toscana. It's simply a non-stick pizza pan with holes and a detachable handle. The first pic clearly shows that this thing gets more use than I should be admitting to here hehehe. Anyway, a packaged Boboli crust and bottled sauce were in order. Grated cheese, fresh basil from the garden and sweet red peppers, lightly sauteed in olive oil and a splash of tabasco. You only need about 450* before you drop the pan right on the grid for a direct cook. The pie is done in 10-12 minutes (thinner crust and not heavy cheese) and so you are essentially eating 20 minutes after you light Humpty. [p]I've seen these at closeout stores for under $10 and they will surprise you with how well they work with both fresh dough and packaged pizza crusts. [p]One last item before my rambling is done. A tip of the KennyG hat is in order to Huck from the K forum for his suggestion to throw an onion into the fire before you start cooking. I used half of a Texas sweet and set it face down in the hot coals. This is a must try that you have to experience. It will drive your neighbors crazy.[p]K~G

Comments