Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

QBabe: Will you post the carrot cake recipe?

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can't locate it anywhere. Please bless us with it.
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]I want to see that one too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]Does this help?[p]Cake, "Sinfully Good Carrot Cake", QBabe

Here's the carrot cake recipe. It came from "The Book Lovers Cafe Cookbook", Gourmet Vegetarian Recipes by Crystal Dougherty & Ian Schleifer. It's a tiny place inside a local bookstore that has super good food. I changed a couple of things, but this is such a good recipe, there's really not much to improve on...
    [p]2 Cups Flour
    2 Tsp Baking Powder
    2 Tsp Baking Soda
    1 Tsp Salt
    1 Tsp Cinnamon
    1 1/2 cups Sugar
    1/4 Tsp Mace
    1 1/2 Cups Canola Oil
    4 Eggs
    3 Cups Grated Carrot
    3/4 Cups Walnuts, Chopped (the recipe called for them to be diced, but I thought that was too small, so I left them a bit larger, plus I added a few more to equal about 1 cup)
    1/2 Cup Raisins
    1/2 Cup Golden Raisins (not in the original recipe, I added these)
    1 Tbs Lemon Zest
    **"Sinfully Good Spicy Cream Cheese Icing"**
    8 Oz Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
    6 Tbs Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
    1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
    2 - 2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
    1/2 Tsp Lemon Zest (the original recipe called for 1/4 tsp, but I thought it tasted better with a bit more zing)
    1 Tbs Lemon Juice
    1 Tsp Ground Cloves (the recipe said this was optional, but I would say it was essential)

1 Sift the dry ingredients into a separate bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and mace). In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil together. Add eggs, one at a time, and incorporate each one before adding the next. Slowly add the flour mixture. Next add the carrots, raisins, walnuts, and lemon zest. Pour into two round 9-inch greased and floured cake pans (or three 8-inch pans). Bake at 350°F.for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
    2 Turn the cake(s) out onto a rack and cool. Once they are cool, spread a layer of icing on the top of one round, set the other on top and finish icing the top and sides, being careful to not tear the cake and have crumbs on the outside. Garnish the sides of the cake with chopped walnuts, if desired.
    3 At the Florida Eggfest '06, I used a 10 x 14 inch rectangular cake pan, so I could serve more people, but at the bookstore, they do it in the round pans, and it's a very elegant cake when done that way.
    4 This was a phenomenal success! I wish I'd done more of them...
    5 Tonia

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Dessert

Recipe Source
    Author: QBabe[p]Source: Florida Eggfest '06, QBabe

[p]

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]I posted a link to it below, but looks like Richard reposted it for you here...enjoy![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    Thank you all. You are such good people!

Judy in San Diego
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    I've been fishing most all day today and just saw your request from last night. Seeing that you have it then all is well - but I didn't want you to think I just ignored you! BTW as I type there is only 1/4 of that cake left!!! GREAT reviews from neighbors, relatives and friends.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    RRP,[p]Now you have me wanting it, too![p]Tonia
    :~)