Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs without Foil

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang - Going to do Baby Backs tomorrow - have stuck to the 3/1/1.5 method, but would like to go indirect/direct without foil tomorrow. Previous attempts without foil have finished up a little drier than I would have liked, although flavor was great. Ribs will spend the nite in a beer/applejuice/rub/vinegar etc. marinade - have been reviewing all the various direct/indirect methods, but would appreciate any last minute suggestions. Thanx - ERIC

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    View?u=1386188&a=10352365&p=34908559
    <p />E.B., I rarely use the foil method. I cook all babybacks indirect for 5 hours more or less just a little bit. About 3 hours into the cook I get the BGE up to 300 for about 10-15 minutes. After reaching this temp a open lid a few times and shut down all vents to get it back down to 250-275. I start out at 225. No complaints yet. Good luck,[p]CWM

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    E.B.,
    I use foil maybe 2 out of 10 cooks. Mostly with spare ribs. Babybacks turn out real nice, for me, at 250 elevated over a drip pan for 4-5 hours. I flip once after 3 hours. I like them sauced, and either apply the sauce the last hour while keeping indirect, or the last 30 minutes if finishing up direct.[p]JJ and Cat's direct method is also very, very good, and you cannot go wrong that way either. 225-250 direct over the coals. Cat does em in a rib rack, and they are fab. Occasionally she will rotate them. The flavor from the fat on the coals, and the crusting from the direct heat is a unique and pleasureable experience!! Watch those temps though as you can fry them good if temps get away from you.[p]These are my favorite two methods. Your marinade sounds interesting. Enjoy!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    E.B.,
    If I`m doin em indirect I prefer Jim W`s recipe..and goin direct..JJ`s got it nailed..with all ribs everybody`s tastes are different but those are my choices..and the foil method is also very good..IMHO[p]Wess