Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On the Island

King-O-Coals
King-O-Coals Posts: 510
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's funny how the works of God and Mother Nature seems to block the shallow experiences of life. Like today,, I've been kinda down due to the absence of the activity of the Big Green Egg. However, listening to James Taylor and watching the sky turn from grey-blue into heavenly pastel shades of pink, orange, aqua-blue, green, and vivid-electric blue, seems to ease the un-easyness of the lack of fragrance of burning charcoal mingled with salt-aire. Enjoying the company of my lifelong mate, pets, nature, and godly fragrances carried by south winds, makes the aroma of Grouper filets frying in the hot sizzling grease,, almost as appealing. Life is good, in some select areas, but the remembering of the pain and suffering of those consumed in the mental turmoil of coping in the personal arenas of life, brings one back to reality. As we think about them, and squeekingly wipe the frost from the imaginary windows of the lives of those who have lost precious treasures, and peer in at them and try to imagine how we would cope with such a loss, a loss which can only be regained at our own final end, and then try to remember what your day was,, and what it could be.. What if today, your loss of precious treasures was the subject of others attempting to bear your pain? Take nothing for granted, and never pass the opportuinity to tell those you love how you feel. Even though you know, they already know,, you need to,no you must say it,,,, just in case you don't get the chance later. You,, or they,, could be gone in the next breath.

Comments

• King-O-Coals,
    Nicely said Bruce! Very nicely said! I second the thoughts.[p]Dr. Chicken

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    King-O-Coals, [p]Your scraping at the very core of the soul with that one. Thanks..C~W[p][p]
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    King-O-Coals,
    Your note really grabbed me. I have to tell you this really dreadful personal tale which relates directly to your post. Here goes.[p]Years ago, Jim and I took a wonderful Thai cooking course from a woman whose husband was a visiting professor from Thailand here at Penn State. Kanya and her husband gave us the most glorious glimpse into their culinary and cultural world. When they left to go back to Thailand, their then college-age son, Paul, remained to finish school. We lost touch with them over the past few years.[p]Last weekend Kanya and her husband were flying into the Toronto airport. Paul was to pick them up and bring them here for a visit. On his way to the airport somewhere in northern Pennsylvania, driving through a horrible ice storm, Paul was killed on the highway.[p]These poor people sat in the Toronto airport for I don't know how many hours. Finally when the police sorted out the details, they were told the worst news a parent can ever hear. The funeral was held here in town this past Friday in the midst of another ice storm. Paul was a Buddhist; the funeral was at the local Lutheran church with a Roman Catholic giving the eulogy. Paul's friends from work were all there, but of course the family consisted only of his poor parents. Now what would have been a joyous reunion with their only child has become not only a funeral, but a nightmare of legal paperwork and forms. We will help in whatever way we can, but my heart just can't stop aching for these dear folks.[p]Thanks for lending an ear, and certainly your word ring truer than ever for all who know this lovely family.
    Gretl

• Gretl, Thanks. I've been there too. I'll email you shortly.

• King-O-Coals,
    You've never been to Billy Goat Hole have you? ;-)[p]B~F

• Bama Fire, sure! But all of that is in the idle-wake zone so I usually go around cause I like to keep'er up on a plane with the wind in my face. Lot's of boat traffic there too because of the free boat launch and the D.I. Ferry makes several circuits through there each day. You been to Billy Goat Hole too? Been through the Forts?
  • K.O.C.,
    Here's something really fun to do on a saturday afternoon: fill up a cooler of beer and head to billy goat hole to watch the boys try to get their boats out of the water. I've seen a guy drop a trailer, and another accidentally put the truck in R ("race") instead of D ("drag race") and back down that ramp into the water. Oops.[p]I grew up in Mobile.[p]B~F

• Bama Fire, that's some of the funniest stuff on the planet. That boat launch is in dire need of some extensive video-taping. You could make a million bucks with that stuff. I spent big bucks for a boat lift and pier just to keep from having to ever go up there again.. Yall just gotta come down for a laid-backed weekend.