Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can someone tell me how to make a brisket that isn't tough and dry?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm ready to give up. I've made five briskets on my egg and they all come out like shoe leather. I usually cook indirectly for 6 to 8 hours at 225, I wrap it in foil and put it in the cooler for another few hours. Same thing -- tough and dry. I even cooked one for ten hours and it was the same. [p]I'm open to suggestions.[p]Thanks all!

Comments

• onelegchef
    onelegchef Posts: 119
    Options
    JimiRayClapton,
    Ping Mollyshark she has a good recipe for brisket that is cook direct, Ive tried it and it is juicy and tender.
    Good Luck
    Bobby-FTW,TX

• Sneezix
    Sneezix Posts: 40
    Options
    JimiRayClapton,[p]What's your internal temperature when you take it off?
    It doesn't sound like you're cooking it long enough, to me.[p]Frank

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    JimiRayClapton,[p]That sounds like way too short of a cook time, although we'd need to know the size of the brisket, the temperature of your egg, and possibly the internal temperature of the brisket. Without all that info it's only a guess, but it definitely sounds like the time is too short. Brisket is too tough if it's undercooked for sure.[p]This is what I do. I cook it at 225 or near that as i can get, my egg sems to like to sit in the 240 range, so that's what I let it do. Bugger if I'm gonna argue with the thing, and I never take the briket off until I know it's internal temperature AND I've given it the fork test. My wife calls me crazy..but when I give it the fork test I frequently yeel out "Fork You!" the first time i poke it and "fork you two!" the second time i poke it. it seems to help and I'm not changing that, although I have agreed to finally put up a fence between me and my neighbors.[p]I wait until the brisket is pushing 180-190 degrees internal, then every now and then i stick a fork in it and twist it. If the fork twists easily and the brisket gives way to the fork, that is it tears apart easily to let the fork twist, then it's done enough to stick in foil an into a cooler, or even just double wrapped and sitting on the counter. In this way I only use temperature as a guide, but the fork test as the decidin factor, but it's never before 180 degrees internal and mostly pushing 195-200 when it's done.[p]Here's anotha thing. I don't got no fancy pants la-dee-da electronic fast thermapen. I use an old, 5 dolla dail type thermometer. When you've been sittin near the 10-11 hour mark is a good time to take a reading, and then judge from there, and when it's upwards of 180-190 degress, start pokin it with a fork every now and then.[p]Don't give up. I'm guessing you're just not waiting long enough to pull it off. Brisket is heavenly when it's done rite and is my favorite meat..period.[p]Hope this helps, try again, and post the size of the brisket you're cooking and the temperature of your egg while its cookin, an spend the money on a thermometer, it don't gotta be a thermopen, although someday I'd like to have one myself, but there's plain nuttin rong with takin a too dolla dial type and waiting the extra half minute for it to tell you what the meats at..but remember use that sa a guide, when it gets close, nuttin says your brisket is done mo betta than pokin with a fork an twistin..[p]StumpBaby
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    JimiRayClapton,
    Sounds like you aren't cooking it long enough. I rub mine with honey and Dizzy Pig Cowlick, cook at 250ish dome temp until the internal meat temp reaches 190-195. I don't mess with foil or open the Egg. As I recall, usually takes closer to 12 hours than 10 (for a whole brisket), but it's done when it's done, and the meat temp will tell you, or a fork stuck in will turn fairly easily is the other test I've heard of. The be sure to wrap in foil and rest it for at least a half hour, better yet an hour, that's an important step to keep the juice in it. Keep trying, when you get it right it's worth the effort!!!

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    shawnee06004.jpg
    <p />Basscat,[p]Rub with a coat of Cowtown all purpose bbq seasoning and go over it with a layer of Cowtown steak seasoning. Cook at about 250 degrees till ya get to about 165 to 170 degrees. At this point pour in about 3/4 cup of RSM and wrap in foil. Take the temp up to 200 degrees, let rest in a cooler and slice it up.......easy peasy and you'll have an excellent hunk of meat for your family.[p]RSM[p]ï‚· 12 oz. can of beer
     ½ cup cider vinegar
     ½ cup of water
     ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
     ¼ cup olive oil
    ï‚· 1 tablespoon beef base
    ï‚· 2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
    ï‚· 1 tablespoon Season salt (or your favorite rub)
    ï‚· 1 tablespoon celery seed
    ï‚· 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    ï‚· 1 teaspoon MSG[p]Mix the ingredients and baste as necessary, or add when wrapping at about 165*.[p]

[ul][li]Cowtown[/ul]
  • Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    Someone is posting as Stump! I actually understood his post.

• Unknown
    Options
    JimiRayClapton,
    eh jimiray try this in a blender put in one can of cranberries
    five cloves of garlic (or as much as you want)two teaspoons of black pepper corns two teaspoons of sea salt or kosher salt 1/3 cup of olive oil or grape seed oil 1 cup of wine your choice 1/4 cup of a good vinegar your choice blend it up maranate the brisket four six hours and slow cook it use you favourite charcoal i do mine in the morning for about eight to ten hours an hour brfore its done i glaze it with one 1/4 cup of wine and honey to bring out the flavours good luck ps exuse my spelling i failed english but exelled at recess

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    JimiRayClapton,
    Sounds like you are cooking smaller flat cut briskets? They don't have as much fat to keep them moist, but still need 14 to 18 hours to come up to the proper internal temp. If they are coming up to temp in under 8 hours, I'd guess that your dome thermometer is way out of calibration, that's just too fast. The connective tissues in brisket need a long time at low temps to break down, a full packer cut brisket can take anywhere from 18 to 24 hours at a steady 225 dome temp. As that collagen breaks down it bastes the meat internally, keeping it moist and finishing off tender.
    You need to learn to read your briskets also, one that is soft and pliable when you prep it has probably been wet aged for bit and may be cooked to perfection when it reaches 180 degrees, even as low as 170, while a brisket that is very stiff is still close to the kill date and is going to require an internal temp of 195-200 to become fork tender.
    Don't give up, just ask more questions.[p]Cheers,
    Sean

• Sneezix
    Options
    This reminds me of when I was with a couple of friends
    in a restaurant in Boston (Somerville, actually). The
    Special of the Day was Beef Brisket. My buddy (another
    Native Texan) ordered it. The waiter then asked him
    how he'd like it cooked. Instead of giving the correct
    answer, "I'd like to change my order," he asked for it
    well-done.[p]He was served two slices of shoe leather.

• City Slicker
    Options
    JimiRayClapton,
    Have only cooked 3 briskets, the last one turned out fantastic. I have an XL, and did not use the plates setter on the last one, just a big drip pan with nothing but water in it and a rack that raised the brisket about 3inches above the grid. It was a 12.5 lb packer. MollyShark suggested not using the platesetter and it worked for me. Here is a link to the Weber site that tells everything you never knew that you didn't know
    know about briskets, don't give up.[p]http://virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html

• Sneezix
    Options
    Is posting links to a Weber site allowed here????[p]:-D