Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Decision made on Chick Cookoff - need your brine suggestions

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have decided to go with the beer butt chicken for this Saturdays cook off between the BGE and Charbroil Cooking Zone rotes. chicken. Going to use the suggested apple cider vinegar instead of the beer. Haven't decided on a rub...perhaps montreal chicken??? Also, need DETAILED recipe for brine and how long will I need to brine. Should I get one of those LARGE roasters from Wally-World? I'm ready to do this!!!!!![p]All input greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Sandi,
    SIC EM GAL!!! I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice for your chicken fixin'.I've been cooking a lot of them for other folks lately and have had only 'rave' reviews.Like you,I use apple juice in cup under chicken sitter,but after overnite brine,I have been marinading for 5 or 6 hours in a Mcormac(SP) GRILL-MATE zesty herb flavor marinade then cook at 300° till 176° in thigh on Polder.They've been great everytime.Good luck. Bob

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Sandi,[p]I'd go with a simple brine: 1 cup kosher salt and 1 cup sugar to 1 gallon of water. You probably only need 1/2 gallon for a chicken, so cut the salt & sugar in half too. Make sure the brine is very cold when you add the bird, and store it all in the refrigerator. I brine whole birds 8 hours or overnight. [p]If you have time after rinsing/drying the brined chicken, put it on a rack over a baking pan in the fridge - unwrapped - to let the skin dry out overnight. You'll get a crisper skin that way.[p]Be careful about rubs - although the brined bird shouldn't taste salty, a rub with lots of salt (like Montreal Chicken) might push it over the edge. Try JJ's rub, or another with little or no salt. I spray the chicken with olive oil just before cooking, again to help the skin crisp & brown.[p]Make sure the Wally World (or wherever) roaster isn't injected with anything.[p]Best wishes for the cookoff -[p]Cathy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cat, welcome back Cat...your expertise and tips have been greatly missed...Hello to Mr. Cat...:-)
    C~W[p]

• Bobby Que
    Options
    Sandi,[p]You might look at this link about brining. It has several recipes for brines as well as a nice discussion on brining.[p]Good luck.

[ul][li]Brining Explained[/ul]
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Ops!
    Boy did I goof, that mess was by me and I haven't even gotten the bottle opener out yet.
    Maybe that's the trouble.
    I'm sure your chicken will be commendable, it's a great dish.
    B D

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Sandi,
    If you follow Cat's recommendations, you can't go wrong. The Beer Butt Birds I roast come out just great when I make a "sludge" of garlic, olive oil, and herbs. I loosen the skin and add the mixture between the meat and skin all over. Whatever is left in the bowl goes on the outside of the skin, along with a liberal grinding of black pepper. I use one of the vertical poultry roasters and fill a small can with beer. I use an washed tomato paste or small pineapple juice can.[p]This is absolutely...in my humble opinion...THE way to roast poultry.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Sandi,
    The 1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar and 1 gallon water
    method works great. But take heed of the warning
    about injected chicken below. I do split breasts
    all the time using brine and they're great, but once
    we accidently bought breasts that were "injected with
    a 12% solution of something". They were way too salty.[p]Chuck

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Big Daddy, I agree, but let me know what that kickapoo joy juice is..Might beat JJ's Mint Julips..:-)
    C~W[p]

• Sandi,[p]My recommendation is a
    big chicken(called a roaster),
    6 to 8 lb(sometimes up to 10 lb),
    but less than 12 weeks old.[p]They have a deeper, richer, more
    complex flavor than smaller ones.[p]Due to the size the theory goes that it will
    reach perfection in and out at the same time.
    [p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Big Chicken, you must mean one of those surgically cured Capon's...:-) They are the best!!
    C~W
    (for those interested in Capon..its usually a White Rock or a Barred Rock rooster that has undergone a sex change at a very early age...like 10 weeks old!) They mature with sqweeky crows...Not the black bird, morning rooster chirps...heeeeeyaaaa. This is getting bad..)
    Cheers....
    C~W[p]